Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2010, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I got one last week to replace my G5. It's a sweet little Rat that for sure. It is as comfortable, once you get through fiddling with it, as they say. The pinky and thumb rests are great, the palm piece, weights, and length and width adjustments make it "your" mouse.

I especially like the sensitivity adjustment AKA "Sniper" button, I use it in ArmA, a lot. Most expensive mouse I've ever had but it's worth it IMHO.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Still, you have to switch batteries, which isn't something you need to deal with if you have a wired mouse.
I guess that depends on the mouse. For example I have a logitech wireless mouse for my laptop, I have to change the one AA once every few months and it gets a lot of use. But I imagine a gaming mouse wouldn't last anywhere near that long. For a desktop, I'd stick with wired.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I guess that depends on the mouse. For example I have a logitech wireless mouse for my laptop, I have to change the one AA once every few months and it gets a lot of use. But I imagine a gaming mouse wouldn't last anywhere near that long. For a desktop, I'd stick with wired.
Same here. I think my Anywhere MX has 2 batteries and it lasts for months with heavy use including gaming. But on my desktop I just prefer wired kb and mouse because it's one less thing to deal with.

Anyhoo, these RAT mice are total overkill for someone like me. Unless it was so damn comfy my hand screams from withdrawl when I am not using it I think I'll skip it. My motto is the fewer moving parts the better. And this looks like it has all kinds of potential for failure. jmo

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 3, 2010, 04:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've been watching for this one for a while and now after AKG and SIMGAMER it's a must have for me. Thanks guys and thanks FiXT for the great video review.
Old August 3, 2010, 04:36 PM
Trial Member

Default Rat 7?

I have been looking at this mouse for a while and it looked kinda gimmicky but now i see that it definatley is not just might have to give it a go!!
Old August 3, 2010, 04:57 PM
Trial Member

Default Suggestions

I had to make an account just to give you guys a bit of criticism as there seems to be a bit of confusion between what I consider a proper review and what you guys do. Let me preface this by saying I have both read the written review and watched the video review.

Instead of simply listing off the features of the mouse I'd prefer if you'd talk about how well the mouse performs those features. Your review should be about nuances this mouse has in relation to others. For example, instead of saying this mouse has 5600DPI you should talk about how the laser the mouse uses is the same Philips Twin-eye in the Razor Imperator. This kind of information is important because different lasers and sensors produce differently "tracking" mice. The Twin-eye laser for instance, has a known tracking issue when you pick the mouse up and set it back down, causing the cursor to "jump" down and to the right. Also, some sensors may produce visible cursor jitter on different surfaces.

Z-axis problem with Philips Twin-Eye

You should also mention how well the drivers and software is implemented because as important as the hardware is, if the drivers are crap then you might as well be using a bog-standard Microsoft Intellimouse. Talk about how well the macro-settings are implemented, how easy the interface is to use, what environments have problems running the drivers (if any), etc.

Finally, instead of rushing to publish a review a couple days after using the mouse how about you try to use it for a week or two to see if any issues come up. Again, for example, say this mouse doesn't provide Teflon feet for the "wings" you can attach to the pinky, how does that affect your daily use? Or say the rake adjustment on the thumb rest doesn't tighten fully and so over time you'll find yourself having to constantly having to readjust it so it is to your liking. And what about the horizontal scroll-wheel? You could talk about how its position is good or bad and gives you cramps, or maybe even the DPI adjustment button is awkwardly placed so you'll never be able to find it under pressure or you hit it by accident a lot during a firefight, etc. etc.

Anyways, the reason I'm making this post is not because I hate you guys. I really like the site and what you do, but try to put a bit more effort into your reviews because I want a site I can come to for second opinions, not re-written press releases or worse, advertisements.

Last edited by xanavi; August 3, 2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: video link added
Old August 3, 2010, 05:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We enjoy criticism and will definitely implement suggestions into upcoming reviews.
Old August 3, 2010, 07:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanavi View Post
I had to make an account just to give you guys a bit of criticism as there seems to be a bit of confusion between what I consider a proper review and what you guys do. Let me preface this by saying I have both read the written review and watched the video review.

Instead of simply listing off the features of the mouse I'd prefer if you'd talk about how well the mouse performs those features. Your review should be about nuances this mouse has in relation to others. For example, instead of saying this mouse has 5600DPI you should talk about how the laser the mouse uses is the same Philips Twin-eye in the Razor Imperator. This kind of information is important because different lasers and sensors produce differently "tracking" mice. The Twin-eye laser for instance, has a known tracking issue when you pick the mouse up and set it back down, causing the cursor to "jump" down and to the right. Also, some sensors may produce visible cursor jitter on different surfaces.

Z-axis problem with Philips Twin-Eye

You should also mention how well the drivers and software is implemented because as important as the hardware is, if the drivers are crap then you might as well be using a bog-standard Microsoft Intellimouse. Talk about how well the macro-settings are implemented, how easy the interface is to use, what environments have problems running the drivers (if any), etc.

Finally, instead of rushing to publish a review a couple days after using the mouse how about you try to use it for a week or two to see if any issues come up. Again, for example, say this mouse doesn't provide Teflon feet for the "wings" you can attach to the pinky, how does that affect your daily use? Or say the rake adjustment on the thumb rest doesn't tighten fully and so over time you'll find yourself having to constantly having to readjust it so it is to your liking. And what about the horizontal scroll-wheel? You could talk about how its position is good or bad and gives you cramps, or maybe even the DPI adjustment button is awkwardly placed so you'll never be able to find it under pressure or you hit it by accident a lot during a firefight, etc. etc.

Anyways, the reason I'm making this post is not because I hate you guys. I really like the site and what you do, but try to put a bit more effort into your reviews because I want a site I can come to for second opinions, not re-written press releases or worse, advertisements.
In all fairness FiXT video's has always been more of an overview than a full up review, written reviews here on HWC are usually a lot more in depth to the extent that I usually skim most of it and get to the conclusion .
Old August 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
In all fairness FiXT video's has always been more of an overview than a full up review, written reviews here on HWC are usually a lot more in depth to the extent that I usually skim most of it and get to the conclusion .
True, but by that token they should either be more in-depth or they should be called overviews, first looks, or something along those lines rather than being labeled as full reviews (and awards should also not be given out to products based on them).
Old August 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

FiXT is currently out of the service area or temporarily on vacation but he will respond when back.

The plan has been to do a follow up review on the actual performance and software when Saitek/Cyborg is able to send us a working set of drivers; oh the pains of review samples. And please bear in mind, a right handed mouse was given to a left handed gamer ;) - I've already given it to a few different independent parties for them to test out while I'm away and that will be a part of the follow up.

Most of our videos are intended to be product showcases as stated, where we attempt to squeeze as much information in about the product as possible, without dragging it on like a normal review. Initially I invested copious amounts of time testing every nuance of (cases as it used to be) and found that very few people were actually interested or bothered to stick around for this (hell even I get bored listening to the droning on). Imagine taking everything that is in a normal review and attempting to put it into a video of 10 minutes or less, simply impossible, and likely very uninteresting to a majority of the people. I have focussed on condensing the reviews to hit on as many of the "features" of it as possible while still remaining time conscious; and then allowing people to draw their own conclusions based on our findings.

Trust me, I could go on FOREVER about a lot of things, and I am starting to do a bit of a different review called tech bytes, which are usually very quick, but more opinionated types of overviews that may suit your style better.

These last few products from Saitek have been my first venture into something outside of cases so we are still working to adapt the process for them. I do appreciate the feedback though and will definitely focus on making the videos for peripherals a little more well rounded if possible in the future.

Zero: It is technically is called a "Product Showcase"

edit; scratch that, fixt has plently of time and a solid tethering connection while sitting on the ferry :P

Last edited by FiXT; August 3, 2010 at 08:52 PM.