Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2010, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Inkjet or colour laser?

I want a printer that can print colour, with good colours (nothing professional). Speeds don't matter to me, as long as it's not 1-5ppm. The printer is for school use, and will be located at home. I also want an all-in-one printer (mainly: print, scanner, copier). I am going to use this printer for my school projects which involve black ink a lot, and occasionally color. I'm probably going to print 5 pages per week on average.

What kind of printer should I get if I had a budget of 100 dollars or less? If I said I had a budget higher than 100, what kind of printer would you suggest?

Also, would you choose an inkjet or colour laser printer? (explain yoru choice in terms of cost performance ratio). Would the laser jet pay for itself later?

Also
No
HP or Epson.

Thanks guys
Old May 17, 2010, 05:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Haven't had any experience with the inkjets in quite a while but I'd go with the colour laser printer. The basic models are easily under $100 (ie samsung). With only pages/week printed the ink in the cartridges might dry out before you get full use of them, depending on the capacity of the cartridge. You also get the benefit of not having the ink run if you get a drop of liquid on the page.

On the other hand, for a $100 budget, you can get an inkjet with duplexing capability. This means you can do automatic double sided printing. But, if you're only printing 5 pages a week, duplexing isn't an essential feature.

The cost/performance ratio is kinda tricky. Usually lasers are cheaper than inkjets in the long run, but you're only printing 5 pages/week. At that printing volume, you might not print enough pages before the manufacturer discontinues refills for that printer for the laser to break even with the inkjet.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Color Laser for sure. I have an "ok" Brother monotone laser printer/all in one. I print stuff once in a while and the toner is still 95% full!!! The laser printers are way cheaper in the long run. But if you are in vancouver, i do have a Canon inkjet with like 7 cartridges of ink if you want it :)

-Plato
Old May 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

if on the fence about Color Ink vs Color Laser? the easy way to decide is to ask yourself...

Will you be printing color Photos or not. Photo reproduction on color laser printers is extremely poor, especially on low cost color laser printers.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My personal opinion on the matter is to have a B&W laser printer, and an inkjet for colour pages and photos. That seems to seal the deal for me. I love my Kodak inkjet.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I use a Samsung colour laser printer and as long as you don't expect to be printing photo-quality pictures, it's quite good. Toner cartridges can be found at an EXCELLENT price through various online sources as well.

I use this one:

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung CLX-3175N Colour Laser Multifunction Printer Copy Scan 1200X600DPI 4/17PPM USB2.0 Network - CLX-3175N/XAA In Canada.

Bought it for $150 on sale at Staples.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

i'm never goin back to inkjet

you can buy toner n just refill the cartridge
if i gonna print pics its so cheap .....most places do it for less than 25cents a pic

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old May 17, 2010, 04:39 PM
MVP
F@H

If you're working on a budget, don't worry too much about the cost of an inkjet printer; it's the ink that will cost you money... check the cost of the ink cartridges first. You could easily spend about 100.00 just buying refills for some inkjets which is the price of some printers. Every time you turn on most inkjets they go through a nozzle cleaning process for all colors, so even if you print predominantly black, you'll waste color ink anyway.

Another option might be to save to a USB stick and have that printed out at school if possible.

Don't know enough about home lasers to comment. My next printer will probably be a black/white laser.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input, I'll be considering the laser printer. But if you had to choose between a laser and an inkjet, would you buy a inkjet for 100 or save up another 100 to buy a laser? (trying to convince my gf that a laser is better than a inkjet in the long run)

Also where would i find toner refills if I wanted to do it myself? (I have a Brother DCP-7030 that I bought for 75 on sale...sweeet deal.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
My personal opinion on the matter is to have a B&W laser printer, and an inkjet for colour pages and photos. That seems to seal the deal for me. I love my Kodak inkjet.
I like that idea, I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I use a Samsung colour laser printer and as long as you don't expect to be printing photo-quality pictures, it's quite good. Toner cartridges can be found at an EXCELLENT price through various online sources as well.

I use this one:

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung CLX-3175N Colour Laser Multifunction Printer Copy Scan 1200X600DPI 4/17PPM USB2.0 Network - CLX-3175N/XAA In Canada.

Bought it for $150 on sale at Staples.
I'll definitely keep this model in mind. It looks dead sexy.

Thanks guys, HWC rocks.

Last edited by feerof; May 17, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try NCIX. A while ago they were selling Brother toner at nearly half price of what Futureshop sells.

HEHE, i have the Brother DCP-7020 :)

-Plato