Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

refilling toner's is not that simple. what you want is a manufactured cartridge, something i have never seen in color. Plus color toner is crazy toxic.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Plus color toner is crazy toxic.
Please, can you back this up with toxicology studies, MSDS data, etc.

Here is an excerpt from a Canon MSDS for color toner

SECTION 3 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

Emergency Overview: Green fine powder, slight plastic odor.
Potential Health Effects and Symptoms:
Inhalation: Exposure to excessive amounts of dust may cause physical irritation to respiratory tract.
Ingestion: Practically non-toxic. Ingestion is a minor route of entry for intended use of this product.
Eye: May cause transient slight irritation.
Skin: May be non-irritant.
Chronic Effects: Prolonged inhalation of excessive amounts of dust may cause lung damage. Use of this product as intended does not result in inhalation of excessive amounts of dust.
Medical Conditions Generally known to be Aggravated by Exposure: Not determined
Old May 18, 2010, 09:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

my source is a guy who actually re-manufacturers toners for a living... he won't go near the stuff.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

I also suggest a b&w laser and color inkjet. Depending on where you are, you can occasionally find both for a relatively cheap price.

I bought one of each used for $60 total. The laser is a Samsung and the inkjet HP but the HP Photosmart was defective. That's the risk you take used, I guess.

I've seen Canon inkjets for $50 at Staples, though. It was on sale, though but the MP series often go on sale.

If you look often enough, you can usually find a decently priced Samsung laser. The colour lasers are more money.

I'd go for a B&W laser since toner cartridges are probably cheaper and the ink jet unless you print in colour a lot. Some online sites sell the toner for cheaper than you'd pay in Staples/Futureshop. Well, that's my two cents...
Old May 21, 2010, 12:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

cool! thanks guys, i really gotta subscribe to my threads... i always loose track LOL
Old May 30, 2010, 10:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

High-end inkjet colour printers look great on glossy photo paper. But they're expensive and even more expensive to maintain.

Otherwise, a decent laser works well for most cases. The toner usually lasts long and they're nice and speedy.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have a very inexpensive Brother Hl 2140 laser printer. Works great as I mostly print out lab reports/other text crap for school. I bought 3 inkjets before it (HP 5280, 2 lexmarks as well) but loved to stop printing the night before something is due (usually clogged inkjet nozzles, sometimes new carts didn't work either).

As for printing pix, I get them done at Fortinos for about a quarter a picture :)
Old May 31, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
i'm never goin back to inkjet

you can buy toner n just refill the cartridge
if i gonna print pics its so cheap .....most places do it for less than 25cents a pic
I would recommend against refilling your own toners as one mistake and poof you and your room is the color of the toner and now you can vacuum it up with a regular vacuum. I would recommend in investing in a good laser printer (HP, Samsung) i would stay away from brother as some models also have the transfer roller as a consumable. Also if you want to save on paper look at something that does automatic duplexing.

On the topic of printing pics 25 cent's a picture is expensive. Try costco 15 cents a print.

i've been using one for several years now and it works great.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
cool! thanks guys, i really gotta subscribe to my threads... i always loose track LOL
If you select the "Do not send e-mail" option in your subscription options, you'll automatically be subscribed to the threads you create or post in on your User CP page, without having a notification sent to your e-mail. Then, what I do, is put a taskbar bookmark to my User CP page and have HWC and Firefox automatically remember my password, so that when I click on the bookmark I go right to my subscriptions without having to sign-in.
Old May 31, 2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
I want a printer that can print color, with good colors (nothing professional). Speeds don't matter to me, as long as it's not 1-5ppm. The printer is for school use, and will be located at home. I also want an all-in-one printer (mainly: print, scanner, copier). I am going to use this printer for my school projects which involve black ink a lot, and occasionally color. I'm probably going to print 5 pages per week on average.

What kind of printer should I get if I had a budget of 100 dollars or less? If I said I had a budget higher than 100, what kind of printer would you suggest?

Also, would you choose an inkjet or color laser printer? (explain your choice in terms of cost performance ratio). Would the laser jet pay for itself later?

Also
No
HP or Epson.

Thanks guys
HP is a good brand....if you want a brand to stay away from try LEXMARK. Shittiest brand ever.

That said...I would recommend laser for work but NOT for pictures from a camera or anything like that.

Also AFAIK there are no all in one laser printers....are there?