Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2007, 09:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Keyboard modding

Well, I can never feel the need to spend more then $50 for a keyboard unless it was given to me as a gift. GAH I hate the prices of some of these keyboards. ANYWAYS.

about 2 years ago I was given that wireless Gyration keyboard and mouse. BEST KEYBOARD AND MOUSE I EVER USED.

Heres the newer model of that wireless setup.. same keyboard.. different mouse.
Gyration GO 2.4

well when I got it, it was awesome. However time does it's toll. The mouse can;t hold a charge for very long so I loose signal very quickly. The keyboard still works fine, but while gaming the battery life is greatly reduced.

My problem right now is.. I love the keyboard and I don't really want to use that mouse anymore. I want to mod the keyboard to either have a plug in power source... OR make it work on a USB cable. I gotta do my homework on the circuit in the keyboard to find out if it's possible.

If you have a suggestion that does not imply me buying a new keyboard...(unless it's a keyboard of similar size and LOW profile keys for under $20, corded) please comment.
Old November 8, 2007, 06:10 PM
Allstar

You can mod it sure. Do you have this tyoe of knowledge? If not here is a great deal might be up your alley. Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
If not we can discuss what is involved with modding the keyboard.
Old November 8, 2007, 06:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

fortunetly I do this sorta thing as a hobby and I'm in college for doing this kinda work.
Thats not a bad keyboard and mouse, but the key profile is to high for me.
Besides, I found an alternative that REALLY easy.

The Keyboard requires 4 AAA batteries. So that a total of 6V (1.5V each) Your standard AAA battery puts out around 900mA, sometimes 1152mA or something around that area.
My problem was battery life. life dies in a game, i am screwed... life dies while typing, screwed again. Wireless works AWESOME... had this thing a full 25 feet away and worked like a dream. So a simple solution would be to have a power source that won't DIE on me.

AC/DC power adapter is my best bet. I can get a 6V adapter that puts out 800mA. THAT should be plenty to power the keyboard. If not, then I have to hunt down one that does 900mA or better.