Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2010, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Surge Protector Suggestions?

I was told Belkin made some nice ones, will this one do:

NCIX.com - Buy Belkin 12 Outlet Home / Office Surge Protector W/ Telephone and Coaxial Protection - BE112230-08 In Canada.

Also, I don't have power outtages that often but when I do I don't want my PC to fry.
Old April 24, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default UPS

NCIX.com - Buy APC BACK-UPS ES 550VA 120V UPS 8 Outlet 365J RJ-11 Protection - BE550G In Canada.

May I suggest one off these. If the power goes out it alows the computer to shut doun easy. If you dont have to much power draw you can shut evething down propperly first.
Old April 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Isn't that price a bit of an overkill man -_-

Also, I dont even want a UPS, too expensive and an overkill, $25 surge protector is good enough for me, as long as it doesnt fry the computer if anything goes wrong.
Old April 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by irtehleet View Post
Isn't that price a bit of an overkill man -_-

Also, I dont even want a UPS, too expensive and an overkill, $25 surge protector is good enough for me, as long as it doesnt fry the computer if anything goes wrong.
Dude why ask if all you want is a $25 surge protector? You can pick up one pretty much anywhere.
Old April 24, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Belkin's are pretty good surge protectors, and a lot of them have an attached equipment warranty if the surge protector damages anything hooked up to it.
I don't see that specific model mentioning anything about the warranty, but it's at a decent price and should be of pretty decent quality.
I personally use a few Belkin's myself, and they have yet to fail me. Unlike my APC ups's which fail every 5 years or so, albeit they were put through intensive usage.
Old April 24, 2010, 04:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Belkin's are pretty good surge protectors, and a lot of them have an attached equipment warranty if the surge protector damages anything hooked up to it.
I don't see that specific model mentioning anything about the warranty, but it's at a decent price and should be of pretty decent quality.
I personally use a few Belkin's myself, and they have yet to fail me. Unlike my APC ups's which fail every 5 years or so, albeit they were put through intensive usage.
Sweet dude. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I was told Belkin made some nice ones, ...
Quote:
Also, I don't have power outtages that often but when I do I don't want my PC to fry.

You need to first learn some facts. Do you want to protect data from a blackout? Or do you want to protect hardware from a surge? They are completely different and unrelated events.

Low voltage or power loss causes no hardware damage. Despite a majority who believe the myth, power loss is not a surge and does not harm hardware. Power loss is a threat to unsaved data. So we install a UPS to provide temporary power. Or use a laptop that has an even superior UPS inside.

High voltage is made irrelevant by circuits inside all electronics. Your concern is the every higher voltage (an event that occurs maybe once every seven years) that may overwhelm protection already inside every electronic appliance. Anything on the power cord that would protect is already performed by superior designed inside the electronics. The only transient that can overwhelm that internal protection must be made irrelevant where wires enter the building - the service entrance.

A service entrance solutions costs massively less money - about $1 per protected appliance. How much more for the protector? 25 times more? 100 times more?

View the spec numbers for that Belkin. It does not even claim to protect from typically destructive surges. In autopsies, we even traces surge damage because the protector was too close to the appliance ... and too far from earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Since they are selling the same $7 grocery store protector circuit for $25 or $40, then Belkin et al will avoid all discussion about what provides surge protection. No the protector. A protector is only as effective as the only thing that does protection - single point earth ground.

So again, what do you want to solve? If you want to protect data, then the UPS numeric specs only claim to do that. Meanwhile all electronic appliances contain significant surge protection. So that internal appliance protection is not overwhelmed, you must have the solution that was even done 100 years ago where ever damage could not happen. You must upgrade earthing and install one 'whole house' protector. You must install the only type of protector that actually does surge protection.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Maybe power loss won't damage hardware but when it comes back on that could be a different story. Especially if you live in a older house with older wiring.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Maybe power loss won't damage hardware but when it comes back on that could be a different story. Especially if you live in a older house with older wiring.

Well power cycling does cause electronics damage. For example, one of the worst numbers I ever saw was an IBM disk drive - 20,000 power cycles. That means it fails if power cycled seven times every day (including holidays) for ... almost eight years. IOW nobody cares. Perspective - once we add numbers, power cycling no longer is the reason for failure.

It is called AC power. There is a sharp power rise 60 times every second. That sharp power rise exists during power on, AND when power has always been on. If power restoration causes damage, then constant power also causes damage.

Power on damage is a popular myth among those who do not first learn how electricity works. For example, if power on is so destructive, then one also defines the electronic component destroyed by that damage - with numbers. The required facts are never provides when destructive power on comes only from wild speculation.

An example of how myth gets created. An electrical failure down the street causes damage. First damage is created. Then power goes out. Those who know only by observation combined with wild speculation say power on caused the damage. Complete nonsense. But it works when myth or speculation is automatically converted to fact.

Another myth are the many who *know* power cycling causes incandescent light bulb damage. Again, wild speculation and popular myth. Power cycling does not cause light bulb failure. But so many who know only from observation promote that myth.

Provide up top were numbers. Once we include perspective, destructive power cycling is mythical. A most typical failure number is 100,000 power cycles. That means power cycling seven times every day for .... 38 year. IOW a fourth reason why power cycling is really not destructive. So what it the component so easily destroyed by power on? And why is it destroyed? To know power cycling is destructive means you have the answer to that simple question.

BTW, electricity is same whether the wire is 2009 or 1930. Old electrical wiring causing electronics damage is another myth easily promoted when one does not have basic electrical knowledge.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ever seen a grayout

When smell the oil on an old transformer you know whats up. Smoke anouther good sign that the transformaer is in trouble. We had an event 5 or so years ago the power company payed out over 300,000.00$ in damages from one event. Murfy Law aplies