Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2010, 12:22 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Point and shoot camera suggestions appreciated

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a new digital camera. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Small, point and shoot. Smaller the better, as this thing will be in pockets, purses. etc.
2. Good photos in low light, hopefully automatically. This is key, as a couple of people will be using it with little photography knowledge. I can get Ok pictures in low light, but my fiancee is not camera friendly and takes horrible pictures. If the camera can take good pictures in shaky conditions it would be helpful.
3. SD storage.
4. Decent-sized screen on back.
5. ~$300 max budget.

I don't care much for brands, or the pixels. Anything in my price range will have enough MP for my usage. Seems that 3x optical is typical in the smaller cameras, which is fine.

I'm really looking for a small camera, that takes great pictures in various light conditions primarily. I might not have it all, there may be trade-offs, but I'm looking for ideas. I am wondering if any of the new 'digital processors' in current generation cameras are really any good for what I want.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After breaking the view screen on my $700 Canon camera (rendering it essentially useless - too expensive to fix) I bought an HP Photosmart R847 for $179. It has worked very well for me for the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I don't really know what's available in the market right now. Wish I could be more help.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old April 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Right now this looks like a good one:
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Review

Rated very highly on Consumer Reports, and folks who bought it really like the low-light pictures.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Right now this looks like a good one:
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Review

Rated very highly on Consumer Reports, and folks who bought it really like the low-light pictures.
Nothing wrong with that Fuji. What's the price on it? Here's the smallest & lightest HP for $125.

HP® Official Store — Buy the HP SB360 Digital Camera, black direct from HP

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old April 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I did pick up that Fuji. Had to get a new camera, since the cat (one of them did it...neither look too guilty so I don't know who) knocked my old one down on the floor this morning and broke the battery door. Thought it was dead when I turned it on too, but seemed to revive itself.

From what I have read, it has inherited some Fuji DSLR tech, and takes amazing low-light pictures on auto (or the "EXR" mode), which suits our use well. I'll try a couple of low-light pics once the battery is charged, and I update the firmware, and see how it goes.

Only thing I don't like so far, by the looks, is the proprietary USB cable which I was not aware. Might be a pain. Should have known with Fuji I guess.

This has kinda put any Fermi upgrade on hold for a bit too.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

This has kinda put any Fermi upgrade on hold for a bit too.

The first place I go to for camera info-Steve's Digicams - Main Menu

I picked up the F70EXR-Fujifilm Finepix-F70exr Review: Overview

Haven't used it much yet but it seems like a great little camera. I was attracted to it by its low light capabilities and a good review.
Old April 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

This will sound very biased but for a quality camera...nothing beats Canon.

I use Canon cameras a lot an I still love my Powershot A1000IS 10MP Camera. Top notch quality and has a viewfinder ( do NOT get the ones without a viewfinder....if the screen gets busted then you are screwed....if you have a viewfinder then you are safe ) and the colors are unbeatable!!!

Canon all the way.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post

The first place I go to for camera info-Steve's Digicams - Main Menu

I picked up the F70EXR-Fujifilm Finepix-F70exr Review: Overview

Haven't used it much yet but it seems like a great little camera. I was attracted to it by its low light capabilities and a good review.
Your camera looks similar to my new one in capabilities. I have not really compared the two, but that "EXR" tech looks promising. If I look harder, I probably could have found a better camera than I did in a similar price range, but the few tests I just did with it makes it an excellent camera that requires little tweaking from the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
This will sound very biased but for a quality camera...nothing beats Canon.

I use Canon cameras a lot an I still love my Powershot A1000IS 10MP Camera. Top notch quality and has a viewfinder ( do NOT get the ones without a viewfinder....if the screen gets busted then you are screwed....if you have a viewfinder then you are safe ) and the colors are unbeatable!!!

Canon all the way.

My camera that broke was a Canon SD630 Elph. It took decent shots outdoors, but man did it take crappy shots in low light or at night. If I messed with the settings, I could get it to improve (I even had a buddy of mine play with it and he thought the quality at low light to be very lacking). The few Canons I did research on today had similar complaints. I do have to say that for the most part, the camera did take a good beating and survived (until today).

I have tried the new Fuji F1200EXR that I just bought, and my new Fuji beats my old Canon hands-down in low light. Looks about even otherwise (as far as I can tell).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I haver the Canon 630 Elph too. I concur... outside it takes amazing photos for a PAS. Inside, low light situations it kind of lacks. My wife just bought that Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1R but I haven't really played with it much too really comment. She seems to like it but I am kind of attached to my Canon so that's the one I use for PAS.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have the Fuji Finepix S1500 (10MP, 12x opical zoom, pop up flash, SDHC). Underrated and seldom reviewed cam imo. Takes 4 standard AA batteries and has pretty good low light performance IMO, although a tripod would be wise. I got it for $225 in the summer but have seen it as low as $180 now. Decent Sized screen on the back, and an EVR too.

I originally Wanted the Canon SX20 or Panasonic FZ28, but could not justify paying almost DSLR prices (400+)

Last edited by M1K3Z0R; April 11, 2010 at 07:10 PM.