Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Need Photo Printer Recommendation

Hi guys,

My current photo printer, Epson Stylus Photo R800, is fast becoming quite unaffordable. Not only does it clog every few days, but it also uses up massive amounts of ink. I can definitely print less frequently, but that exacerbates the clogging problem. Alas, while it is a great printer, the downsides simply prevent me from thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm thus in the market for a new photo printer, and I'd appreciate it if people can give me a few recommendations based on the following requirements:

1. Quality. It doesn't have to be lab quality, but I don't want to take one look at the photos and immediately realize that they're produced by home printers. I especially do not want to see tiny pixels/dots on the photos.

2. Durability. The photos don't have to last decades, but I definitely don't want to look at them a few months afterward and see them starting to fade/discolor, even if they were left out in the open. Water-resistance is NOT REQUIRED. Clogging should also be a non-issue (or, at least, quite infrequent).

3. Affordability. The printer should cost ~$200 CAD. The ink cartridges should only have to be replaced every few months, depending on print volume. I don't print daily, but will produce around twenty 4x6 photos per month.

4. Versatility. I'm not just going to be using this for printing 4x6 photos, I will also print some documents (8x11).

I'm not sure if such a printer is out there, but hopefully someone here can give some suggestions. I live in the Vancouver, BC area, so please keep that in mind, as I don't generally like to mail order.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this!

Old March 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
MVP
F@H

I've had great results with Canon's iP series of printers over the last few years. Fast, quiet, and nice quality prints. Separate cartridges = buy only the inks you need. Also, most new inkjet photo printers have the ink delivery nozzles built into the cartridges, so they get replaced before they get clogged up.

I used to support HP printers in a call center. Never owned one, but saw some decent prints come from the mid-range units, and I didn't get many 'complaint' calls, just folks who didn't know how to install cartridges etc. Cost per print is also relatively low. Their driver bundles are full of bloatware though.
Old March 20, 2010, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
I've had great results with Canon's iP series of printers over the last few years. Fast, quiet, and nice quality prints. Separate cartridges = buy only the inks you need. Also, most new inkjet photo printers have the ink delivery nozzles built into the cartridges, so they get replaced before they get clogged up.

I used to support HP printers in a call center. Never owned one, but saw some decent prints come from the mid-range units, and I didn't get many 'complaint' calls, just folks who didn't know how to install cartridges etc. Cost per print is also relatively low. Their driver bundles are full of bloatware though.
Thanks for the reply. Hoes does the cost-per-print of the Canon compare to the HPs, do you think? Just an estimate will do nicely.

EDIT: I've found a Canon Pixma IP3600 for >$100. The reviews are mixed, however, with some people loving it and others finding its ink consumption on the high side.

Last edited by mike.mgs4; March 20, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Second vote for Canon. Excellent printers indeed.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

call me crazy, but don't all inkjet printers print the same (print quality wise) ?

i mean.. if you spend more money on an inkjet printer, is the only thing you gain the speed of the actual prints? (sprinkled with networking options of the wired or wireless variety)

at 20 re-productions per month... what is wrong with a WalMart special Canon or HP? just throwing it out there...
Old March 20, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Whole hog

Staples This is a beast 5 ink tanks and intence photo resalution. not all printers are = .
Old March 23, 2010, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the replies!

Old April 8, 2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

DO NOT GET A HP. I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY A HP INKJET. They are garbage.

I got a HP C4480 and it's absolute crap. It will not align. The alignment test always fails. I'm glad I didn't pay much. This thing is useless. I was wondering if there is a shop I could take it to that would permit me to take a sledgehammer and smash it a few times.

I haven't tried a Canon but if I ever bought another inkjet, I guess that would be my only choice. I'm not sure if Epson is any good but not many around that I know of.
Old April 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
DO NOT GET A HP. I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY A HP INKJET. They are garbage.

I got a HP C4480 and it's absolute crap. It will not align.
So, you really mean not to buy HP C4480? Did you return it?
I have been using HP C7250 (from Costco, same as C7280) for 2 years now. Prints 4x6 on Costco photo paper. Gave me same quality as 4x6 from Costco.
In any case, printing 4x6 is so cheap from Costco it is not worthwhile to do it yourself, unless you need a print or 2 fast.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So, you really mean not to buy HP C4480? Did you return it?
I have been using HP C7250 (from Costco, same as C7280) for 2 years now. Prints 4x6 on Costco photo paper. Gave me same quality as 4x6 from Costco.
In any case, printing 4x6 is so cheap from Costco it is not worthwhile to do it yourself, unless you need a print or 2 fast.
I bought my printer used. For $30. I just bought another printer, a laser, also used, for $25. It's Samsung, though.

The HP has been a problem since day one. I know, I know, it's used... yeah, yeah.

But, that shouldn't matter. I just want basic functionality of the printer but it fails the first and main setup part, the alignment of the cartridges. I do have a black ink cartridge that is really low so I am hoping (and knocking on wood) that replacing it will fix the problem. If not, I shall not be happy at all as I invested in another $20 in a new cartridge. This will be my last attempt to have this printer operating properly.

Perhaps, I should have invested in a more business-oriented printer where the QC would be better. I've been recommended Officejets and Deskjets but not sure if any line of the Photosmarts are any good. I notice yours is a higher line, C7xxx series, so maybe those are okay.