Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2010, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I should mention that I totally disassembled the keyboards, and only washed the circuit board with the key switches. For the record. And I'd never do it to another keyboard now, unless it was a really expensive one I was trying to resurrect.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have disassembled many keyboards for a good cleaning (including G15 v1, Dell SK-8115's, and a few others). It takes awhile so patience is key (LOL PUN!).

I find removing the keys with a pci slot cover works pretty good, since it has that upper right angle at just the right depth. Knives and smaller screwdrivers may end up denting the plastic under the key a bit, if not wide enough.
From there it mainly involves taking out the screws in the back and gently pulling things apart, watching out for pressure latches and not to snap anything. Then just remove the silicone keydome layer to wash and wipe down the plastic membranes (make sure to dry them very well), also remove the electronics and pcb. Then just fill up a bucket with warm soapy water and scrub down the plastic parts, and soak the keys too. This works best when done outside on a nice sunny day, so you can leave the parts out to dry. When putting it back together make sure to tap the keys downward onto a hard surface and blow into them to expell any excess water still trapped!. Slap er together and arrange the keys back as they were (free puzzle!) and bam, clean keyboard.

Btw - taking apart a Logitech G15 (gen1) is very time consuming.. sooo many screws and frames. Oh and then there is the issue of reconnecting the lcd ribbon cable, VERY annoying process as it has almost no slack, so you have to keep the thing open on one end and tweezer the cable into place
Old March 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
Allstar

I usually just take a good ol' butter knife, pop all the keys, put them in hot soapy water, clean the dirt under my keys, and place them back. Takes a little them but it's safe and clean. I'm doing it on a G11.

Old March 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I somehow find this menial task of cleaning keyboards fun. Just popping in the keys again after cleaning my keyboard was probably the easiest part of cleaning it.

Old March 12, 2010, 11:22 PM
Rookie

Just make sure you have a keyboard map on hand and remember to lubricate the guide wires. : D
Old March 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've secretly wanted to rearrange my keys to dvorak on more than one occasion after cleaning, but that way lies madness!
Old March 19, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Finally popped off all the keys and damn it's dirty. I was considering dumping the keyboard into a bucket of water or just rinsing it with running water, but would it kill anything? There's a gap that looks like this.

Has anyone cleaned a laptop keyboard? How'd you do it?
Attached Images

Old March 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Either dismantle it and wash the plastic parts, or just grab a vacuum cleaner and suck off all the crap.
Old March 21, 2010, 06:37 PM
Allstar

Shake it into the air. If it doesn't work. Smash it somewhere.
I'd just blow the dirt and take a humid cloth and clean what's left.

Old March 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Shake it into the air. If it doesn't work. Smash it somewhere.
I'd just blow the dirt and take a humid cloth and clean what's left.
Did all but smashing. Still got some on it. Heck I got most of it off by using a vacuum cleaner.