Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
Rookie

Default Mouse & Keyboard - Suggestions?

Ok so I've been trying to figure out what mouse and keyboard to get for my (soon-to-be) new system and I can't quite make a decision on it. I use the computer primarily for regular stuff like web-browsing, word processing, music and video playing, and some gaming (mmorpg's).

The most important aspect of a keyboard and mouse for me is stability and function. For that reason I am strongly leaning away from cordless, which could have a tendancy to be finicky. Ergonomics and comfort are also very high on the list of importance since I, of course, want to be comfortable when using the computer. Having a bunch of extra programmable buttons is of little importance to me.

Mice: I have heard great things about both the MX518 and the G5 from Logitech. The problem I am having is that I can't figure out which one would be better for me. One thing that may sway me is that the MX518 uses an optical sensor, which I read may be more reliable over various surfaces than the laser sensor in the G5. I do enjoy using my mouse directly on my desktop without a mouse pad. The prices between the two are pretty much identical. I have also looked at the Razer mice, but the ergonomics of them look less comfortable than the Logitech mice.

Keyboard: Origionally I was going to get the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000, but I recently went to Best Buy and discovered I didn't really like the design. The ergonomics seemed a little over-exaggerated and akward to me. I scoped out the MS Comfort Curve 2000 while I was in there and preferred the less drastic ergonomic design of that keyboard but I could also feel its lesser quality.

There was another keyboard there that I really liked (even moreso than the Comfort Curve 2000) but it came in a combo deal with a craptastic mouse for like $80 and is not sold on its own. Not to mention it is wireless and isn't sold on DirectCanada / NCIX. But looking at it could give you an idea of the design that was most comfortable for me. Any suggestions or assistance would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Kandorf; September 17, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old September 17, 2007, 10:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still in love with this one http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/perip...-keyboard.html .

It's not "ergo" in any way shape or form, but it looks great, and has awesome tactile response.

Might be hard to find though.... I'm not sure how many of the on-line retailers carry it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For a mouse I'd say Razor, I used to be a staunch Logitech man but since I got this Razor Diamondback mouse nothing Logitech offers comes close. I have never used a G5/7 but I have picked one uyp instore for feel and meh..... not real impressed, the 518 is a great mouse but starting to show signs of it's age IMO.
If you can get your hands on a razor try it out, you wont be sorry.
Keyboards well IDK, that Aurora that willy linked too is my next KB, I have run everything from Logitech to MS ( i hated both my MS keyboards BTW, uncomfortable IMO and crappy key action) a ton of generic KB and my z board, for games I like my Zboard but wouldnt recomend it, the keys feel mushy while typing. I'd say Aurora if you can find one sissorkeys rule, takes me back to the IBM keyboards of yesteryear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 18, 2007, 11:26 AM
Rookie

I use the Logitech G15 keyboard and now the G5 mouse, my MX518 mouse died 3 weeks ago so I picked up the G5. I'm not happy with it at all so I have another mx518 on order and the g5 will jammed back in it's box & put out of sight.
Corsair XMs3 6GB DDR3 1600
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Antec Truepower Quattro 1200 OC Version
XFX GTX295
XFX GTX295
Coolermaster HAF 932
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse
X-Fi XtemeGamer
Old September 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for the MS Natural Ergonomic. I'm personally going after the new Logitech Wave.
Old September 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Ok so I think I have found the perfect mouse. Many people have said alot of great things about Razer mice, but I was tentative in regards to the Diamondback because of its ambidextrous nature and lack of ergonomics. I also thought the lights on it looked overdone. After looking around at some other mice, mostly Razer, I think the Razer DeathAdder looks perfect. I like the asthetics of it alot, it has some ergonomics to it (intended for right-handers), it's wired and infrared optical (100% stable on pretty much any surface), and the thumb buttons sound just right (improved over the Diamondback).

Now to find the perfect keyboard. BTW, part of why I like the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 is because its so darn cheap at $15, lol. The Enermax Aurora Keyboard looks quite nice, but its rather expensive at $70+, not to mention it isn't available at DirectCanada (where I am buying the rest of my system). Is there anything else out there that is top notch for less than $50?

Edit: Currently I'm considering the Saitek Eclipse II. It costs more than I was hoping to spend on a keyboard, but it sounds quite solid and probably worth the extra $$. Anyone own this keyboard or have any comments on it?

Last edited by Kandorf; September 18, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old September 18, 2007, 04:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you have a staples or futureshop close by, you can always go there to check out the "feel" of the different keyboards and then buy it cheaper on-line...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Yeah I already went over to both Future Shop and Best Buy yesterday to look at monitors. Speaking of which, I really didn't see much a difference between the monitors (mostly Samsung, Acer, Viewsonic, LG) and still haven't decided on which one to get. While I was there, I ended up checking out the keyboards and mice but again nothing really struck me as a 'must get' (especially in the keyboard department).

Regardless, I think I will be quite satisfied with the Razer DeathAdder for my mouse, and the Eclipse II seems like a nice keyboard as well. But I think I may go back for a second look around just to be sure there wasn't something I missed.
Old September 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

GL with the new mouse. I never really clicked with Razer or Logitech mice because they were rather small and with too much flair; they had good optics, though. I fell in love with the MS Natural Wireless Mouse 6000 (along with some of their other wide-body models) when I held it at Future Shop. Very, very comfortable.

I've been getting some painful wrist strains from extensive use of laptop keyboards and my G7.
Old September 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
Rookie

I much enjoyed the MS Natural Wireless Mouse 6000 myself when I went to Future Shop / Best Buy. Extremely comfortable design and it looks pretty. But its a little on the expensive side and I'm not so sure how practical it would be for gaming situations. I kind of prefer to finger a mouse, rather than palm it, for gaming.