Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2009, 03:51 PM
Allstar

Default wrist rests?

On a keyboard of course
i've never used one and was wondering if they're just a gimmick that does nothing?
Old September 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I use one for both my keyboard and my mouse and found that they do allow me to have less to no wrist strain or irritation if i am at the computer for long periods of time, especially back to back days.

I highly recommend them to those who are at their computer for very long periods of times regardless of they get wrist strain, irritation or carpel tunnel.
Old September 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not really what you're asking about, but I picked up a cheap pair of terry cloth wristbands to help cope with my gaming-induced tendinitis, and I find they help out quite a bit for long sessions. Also, the extra layer between your wrist and the desk is actually really helpful in twitch FPS.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old September 29, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

do these work. i type all day long going on 7 years know and i can tell my wrist are all messed up.
Old September 29, 2009, 08:05 PM

My System Specs

This is debatable. From my personal experience stay away from them. Using a rest will almost always cause your typing to suffer. I used a rest on my keyboard for likely the past 12 years. Finally got rid of it early this year and I've never looked back. My typing speed has increased dramatically because i don't have to reach for keys because my wrists were resting on the pad.
Old September 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

From a guy with moderate (now) to severe (at one point) Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands. I can say that wrist rests on a keyboard are a BAD idea. Keep the hands UP and off the keyboard! Better to practice good posture and arm posture now before you need to than later when you have to. ;) Good arm position + a "reverse tenting" kb w/ split keyboard design = no pain even after hours of typing.

As for wrist pad for mice. I prefer the bead filled rest style (I use an Imak "ergobeads" one) as it conforms to the wrist without pressure points (like gel ones for example).

Just my $.02....YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 13, 2011, 12:29 AM
MVP

Sorry for the thread necro, I just bought a hard gaming mouse pad and the tracking and glide are great but my wrist hurts and I was looking in to getting a wrist pad. Where do you get those ergobeads?