Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2009, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default MP3 Player overvoltage?

I was charging my MP3 player with a Garmin car charger. It usually charges by mini USB to USB in a PC, the charger for a GPS I got has the same input as my MP3 player. So after a couple days of using my MP3 with the charger it shut wouldn't turn on (my MP3 player). The light for the adapter to be on wasn't even going on. I took apart the adapter and put it back together and still nothing.

But I reset my MP3 using a small pencil and now works fine. I'm wondering if the car charger supplies too much power to my MP3 and would I be able to use it in the future for traveling?
Old July 4, 2009, 07:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It could potentially be overvolting the battery. You would have to read the manual or the back of the mp3 player/its own adapter to see what voltage/current is sent to it, same with your garmin car charger. If they are relatively close then you shouldnt have any problems, but it you need to be careful with mixing chargers, you could easily damage your mp3 player if it goes over a voltage that the voltage regulator in your mp3 player can protect it against
Old July 4, 2009, 08:18 PM
Top Prospect

Thought so the thing is though the manuals are at home and I'm in Nashville lol.
Old July 4, 2009, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you dont have that, the back of the mp3 player, plug in that came with it (wall to usb i assume you are using), and the garmin wall to usb charger plug should all have specifications on themselves somewhere (guaranteed the wall to usb power adapters will)
Lemme know what each are, as in what is the output of the mp3 player charger and the garmin charger
Old July 4, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are charging it in the car the issue can be because of the stop and start charging process ( all time you press brake for like 30 second it stop charge ). That many time kill battery like cellphone and laptop one but I think it could ****up the battery a little for she need a reset. It's sure your car need to be a little recent like (4 years to now ) to have this function so if you are still driving the sister old Honda Civic 93 don't mind what I just talk about. In other case I should say that it is not supposed to be afault of USB, every single A to Mini USB plug carry the same power? to have any difference you will need a cable resistor.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can't just go by voltage. If you use an adapter with the wrong polarity you can kiss the things ass goodbye.... however, it's obviously the same polarity in this case as it hasn't "let out the magic smoke".
Old July 4, 2009, 09:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had thought they typically are all the same polarity, hence me not mentioning since i was more thinking about the voltage/current that could be going to his device and potentially damaging the battery/circuitry over time if it is too much for it to handle and the voltage regulator can't protect it
Old July 5, 2009, 06:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you are using a Sony Walkman, you can adjust the current draw during charging from within the device's menus. Portable media players must have the electrical information printed onto the device if they are, by design, internally rechargeable.