Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2009, 08:30 PM
Rookie

Angry reliable keyboards mouses

Hey, are there reliable mouses out there that a solidly built and give excellent reponse? I mean I've just read a thread about how the the $100+ Ikari mouse dies out in less than three years while my mx310 still holds out for 6 years and my IBM keyboard for even more. Surely there must be smaller firms making quality products designed to last longer periods. Is there?
Old June 7, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Ikari laser has only been out for less than 2 years now... But really it comes down to how you use it. People that use the Ikari tend to be pretty hard on mice, myself included. It says nothing to the build quality. In the last 3 years I have gone through 5 mice. 1 Microsoft, 2 razer and 2 Ikari's (the optical is still working fine). As for keyboards the G15 Gen1 has been the most reliable for me, I'd say this Microsoft sidewinder I have now should be pretty good for a few years, and the razer ones are OK, but not my 1st choice. I love my Logitech slim illuminated, but I cant really comment on the life of scissor type keyboards.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

For longevity, Microsoft mouses last quite long. The problem is their stupid mouse designs are consistently designed by an idiot. Whoever that muppet is needs to get fired.

Long-term reliability isn't really important. I'd rather pay $100 for a mouse that dies in three years than spend three years suffering from severe wrist fatigue and tendon pain bordering on carpel tunnel syndrome. Which is actually the case for me--I have been suffering using Logitech. I got fed up and bought an Ikari today. Tossing my pissant G7 into the wastebasket.

Last edited by Amon; June 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been using my 1st gen G15 for a couple years now.. Feels brand new. I use it several hours per day, every day.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Well then, which mouse should I really go for? How hard have you been on the Ikari laser mouse?
Old June 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

mice please
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  

Last edited by MonsterSound; June 8, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

I use only Logitech Mice/Keyboard/Speakers. Never had anything from Logitech die on me. EVER.

So my recommendation is if you want quality and longevity....Logitech should be your first choice to look at IMHO.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The Steelseries Ikari is en route via courier; I don't have it yet.

My G7 had a broken middle mouse button (click down against the scroll wheel) four months after purchase. It does not pop back up. I was not hard on it by any measure. Just two days ago, I tossed the mouse against the table in complete frustration because my wrist was hurting very badly. Now the button is completely broken. I don't fancy the laser engine in the G5 and G7 because it is not nearly as accommodating as biased owners/reviewers would make you believe. It does not track effectively on: surfaces without a very fine, non-repeating texture; perfectly smooth surfaces (laminates, marble countertops); most cloths; and glass and polished metals. That being said, the Agilent ADNS-6010 in the G5 and G7 is a relatively old and cheap laser processor and not really a fair representation of modern-era up-market laser mouses--and the Logitech mouses have very coarse interpolation done by their onboard processor, anyway.

I can't make a mouse suggestion for you. You will have to go to Best Buy, Future Shop, Office Depot, or any other retailer and hold the mouses yourself. If the mouse comfortable (needs little effort to wield) and has very few moving parts, it's probably a decent buy. Mouses are simply too objective to make a recommendation.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My G5 rev 2 seems to be holding out very well, but I wouldnt say Im all that hard on mice, and I agree that my Sidewinder keyboard will most deffinetly last a while, it has great key response and feels to be made pretty high quality vs others ive used. Last keyboard/mouse set I owned was the MX5000 desktop and it was HORRIBLE, other then that I have never owned a peice of logitech gear thats stopped working, and I have owned alot of logitech stuff (Earphones, speakers, keyboards, mice, headsets, mics, web cams... ect.).

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
mice please
mouses is considered correct to many dictionaries when talking about computer peripherals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
I use only Logitech Mice/Keyboard/Speakers. Never had anything from Logitech die on me. EVER.

So my recommendation is if you want quality and longevity....Logitech should be your first choice to look at IMHO.
you must be lucky. Damn near every logitech mouse I've had has died. Mostly they no longer can click-hold/drag. Happened to an MX310, MX500, MX610. And on an MX Revolution, the scroll wheel seized. Their support is good though, one of the best. But there is definitely much higher quality stuff than Logitech.

I don't know how much the thread starter wants to spend. If you can afford to spend $125 to $150 on a keyboard I highly suggest going with either A Steelseries 7g (Buy Soft Trading [64022] Steelseries 7G PS/2 USB Professional Gaming Keyboard W/ Media Controls USB Ports Headphone IN/OUT) or a Das Professional (NCIX.com - Buy Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Mechanical Key USB Hub Black - DASKB In Canada.). Both are mechanical keyboards like your old IBM (I assume it was anyways). Both state their key switches should last well over 10 million keystrokes. I have used the 7G for about a year now and I will NEVER go back to some cheaply built logitech keyboard. Not until they stop using membrane keys.

As for mouses, I really like my Ikari laser, easily the most comfortable mouse I've owned. And I've owned quite a few.