Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Mouse Stopped Working (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/17728-mouse-stopped-working.html)

geokilla May 8, 2009 07:14 PM

Mouse Stopped Working

For some reason, any mouse I connect to my old Pentium 4 computer suddenly decides to stop working. They are both optical mice, one of them a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, while the other is a Logitech laptop mouse.

When I'm booting up the computer, the red light on the Microsoft mouse lights up, then as soon as I enter the Windows XP splash screen and get past that, the red light goes off and the mouse doesn't work. As for the Logitech mouse, the red light stays on even when I get to the Windows XP log in page, but again, the mouse doesn't respond.

Now the weird thing is that the mouse was working fine 1 hour earlier. Now, it just stopped.

gingerbee May 8, 2009 07:27 PM

check bios or had this happen a couple of times a few weeks before a power supply went. usb seem to have power problem first not fact. jmo and experience

dataxpert May 8, 2009 07:41 PM

I know it look stupid, but did you give the time to the PC to install the driver of the mouse... this morning it take me 5 minutes on a customer. computer before the mouse start to work....

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 192072)
For some reason, any mouse I connect to my old Pentium 4 computer suddenly decides to stop working. They are both optical mice, one of them a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, while the other is a Logitech laptop mouse.

When I'm booting up the computer, the red light on the Microsoft mouse lights up, then as soon as I enter the Windows XP splash screen and get past that, the red light goes off and the mouse doesn't work. As for the Logitech mouse, the red light stays on even when I get to the Windows XP log in page, but again, the mouse doesn't respond.

Now the weird thing is that the mouse was working fine 1 hour earlier. Now, it just stopped.

sswilson May 8, 2009 08:41 PM

Have you tried unplugging the mouse (after the XP Splash screen) and plugging it back into a different USB slot? I've run into this a few times and it seems to pick up the mouse in the different slot, and then works fine from there on in.

geokilla May 8, 2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 192083)
check bios or had this happen a couple of times a few weeks before a power supply went. usb seem to have power problem first not fact. jmo and experience

When it's booting up, the red light of the mice comes on. I go into BIOS, the red light on the Microsoft mouse goes on, just like when I boot into Windows XP. The red light on the Logitech mouse stays on though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 192083)

So you're saying that my PSU could be going? The computer is pretty old...Pentium 4 @ 1.5Ghz with 256MB RAMBUS....Generic case and PSU. My dad bought the computer from eSkyNet back in like 2001 and now I just use it as a multimedia computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 192117)
Have you tried unplugging the mouse (after the XP Splash screen) and plugging it back into a different USB slot? I've run into this a few times and it seems to pick up the mouse in the different slot, and then works fine from there on in.

I've tried 3 different USB slots and the PS2 slot. None of them work, but the mouse light does come on as I said earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataxpert (Post 192092)
I know it look stupid, but did you give the time to the PC to install the driver of the mouse... this morning it take me 5 minutes on a customer. computer before the mouse start to work....

For as long as I could remember, I never installed any mouse drivers on that computer. These two mice always worked as soon as I plugged them into the computers. Plus the Microsoft mouse has been connected to the computer since September of 2008.

Andy May 8, 2009 10:16 PM

I've run into this problem with an older Pentium board before. I believe it was an ASUS, but there was an option in the bios for Plug and Play functionality for USB devices. If it was not on, all USB devices would stop working after windows had booted. I could be completely off base but figured it can't hurt to post. It pissed me off to no end until I figured it out, as I could use my USB keyboard to get into the bios but it would stop working after windows started.

geokilla May 9, 2009 07:43 AM

I tried to find the clear CMOS thing on the motherboard, but I couldn't find it so I just removed the battery. When I went into the BIOS, the date and time had to be entered again. I checked the mouse while I was in the BIOS and the red light was indeed on. Boot into Windows then it goes off.

Ok now for some reason, out of the blue, the mouse responds again.

Squeetard May 9, 2009 07:50 AM

Hey no problem, glad to help ;)