Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

View Poll Results: Which style of keyboarddo you prefer?
Mechanical Keyswitch (i.e. IBM Model M style keyboards) 11 34.38%
Membrane (i.e. 75%+ of all keyboards in use today, including most "gaming" keyboards) 12 37.50%
Scissor Switch (i.e. "laptop style" keyboards) 11 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2009, 06:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Your Keyboard Preference?

So, I was remembering the old dirty-beige IBM Model M (which I later noticed is actually a 1997 membrane model... ) mechanical keyswitch keyboard we have collecting dust in the closet in my mother's office; and that made me think... what's everyone's favorite type of keyboard?

For those of you who don't know, I mean between the three main types of keyboards out there, i.e.:

Mechanical keyswitch keyboards:
Like the "old IBM style" Model M keyboards, mechanical keyswitch keyboards use an actual mechanical keyswitch mechanism for each key, so they are more intricate and usually of higher quality than membrane style keyboards.

Membrane keyboards:
I.E. 75% of keyboards in use these days, meaning all the keyboards that come free with prebuilt Dell/HP/Acer/etc PCs, even including "gaming" keyboards. They're cheaper and easier to make since they are designed so that all the keycaps are positioned above rubber domes, which in turn are above a 3-layer plastic membrane that spreads over the entire keyboard.

When you press the keycap the full key travel distance, a contact point at the top of the rubber dome pushes the top layer through a hole in the middle layer to contact the bottom layer, creating a short circuit which generates the keystroke that is then sent to the computer.

Scissor switch keyboards:
I.E. "laptop-style" keyboards, the keyboards used on most if not all laptops since they are easily the slimmest/shortest keyboards available. In a way it's sort of a hybrid of the mechanical keyswitch and membrane keyboard types, since it still uses a rubber membrane for all the keys, but each key has it's own plastic "scissor" mechanism that links the keycap to a plunger which presses down on the rubber dome.

"Too long, didn't read" version:

Mechanical keyswitch keyboard = "old IBM Model M style" keyboards
Membrane keyboard = 75%+ of keyboards in use today, including 95% of "gaming keyboards"
Scissor switch keyboard = "laptop style" keyboards

SO HWC, which do you prefer? Vote in the poll and feel free to post your opinion on the matter!

Also, I set the poll so you can make more than one choice... because some people might like different kinds of keyboards for different situations.

Also, a good article here for anyone who still doesn't understand or either wants to know more about the differences between mechanical keyswitch, membrane, and scissor switch keyboards: Mechanical vs. Membrane vs. Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyswitches on Keyboards by ErgoCanada.com
-Deadpool
Old April 21, 2009, 06:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I chose Scissor switch, although I'm also partial to the older mechanical switch style keyboards (there's a reason why there are still a lot of the old IBM keyboards around, while the "new improved" keyboard standard is lucky if it lasts 2 - 3 years.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 21, 2009, 06:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Whatever my Razer Lycosa is? I think it's scissor-switch. Either way, that's what I'm used to so I like it.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Whatever my Razer Lycosa is? I think it's scissor-switch. Either way, that's what I'm used to so I like it.
Yep, AFAIK the Razer Lycosa uses scissor-switch keys.
-Deadpool
Old April 21, 2009, 07:56 AM

My System Specs

Mechanical switches. Every time I have to go and use a membrane keyboard i know within seconds. They keys are all squishy and unresponsive.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty sure the G15 is a membrane keyboard. Definitely not a big fan of scissor switch keyboards as I find the keys too flat for my liking.
At work I use the old mechanical keyboards, which do get a bit hard on the fingers after a while. I'll see if I still have a picture of one. Computer connected to it is from 1989 I believe, with a monitor capable of a whole two colours:
1)Black
2)Green
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 21, 2009, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Pretty sure the G15 is a membrane keyboard. Definitely not a big fan of scissor switch keyboards as I find the keys too flat for my liking.
At work I use the old mechanical keyboards, which do get a bit hard on the fingers after a while. I'll see if I still have a picture of one. Computer connected to it is from 1989 I believe, with a monitor capable of a whole two colours:
1)Black
2)Green
Don't be dissin' black/green monitors..... miles ahead of the original green w/ lighter green lettering....... :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like typing on my laptop and I really like the squishy feeling of my MS Comfort Curve 2000 keys. Imo the lower the profile of the keys the better. The Type M keyboards make me think of our very first VCR, it gave you a workout. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah and EONS better than the Amber/Black 2 colour combo monitors....man those monitors would just rip the eyes right out your head after awhile.

On topic....mechanical FTW! I hate replacing keyboards 'cause I break em by pounding to hard on em...that and the unresponsiveness of the long throw membrane kb's...ick :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This Logitech Slim Illuminated I use at work is a pleasure to type on. At home I use a Membrane Microsoft Sidewinder just because its shape/removable num pad, and because I dont do nearly as much typing on it as I do at work.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.