Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i am really happy with my black and white HP works great. But is only B&W but does have a duplexor.

The one i have is the 1320 which i think was replaced with the P2015 series.

Old May 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
Rookie
F@H

For a laser in that price range I would go with the Xerox 6130. Comes with Ethernet, has real postscript 3 support (meaning it will work with any system forever trivially, whether it be windows, mac os, linux, amigaos, os/2 or whatever). Quite fast and colour. Runs about $475 from what I can tell. I suggested that one to a guy at work and he is very happy with it.

Xerox printers are not easy to find in reatail stores, but you can sometimes find them (my friend at work got his at costco at the time, which happened to have it and have it on sale at the time).
Old May 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

from experience I have an old brother 15 years old, still working, I have a MFC brother 6 years old, still working, I have 2 Xerox Workcenter M20 4 years old, ( I have a friend who work for them, damage box I get them for a very low price ) work very fine. My customer have mainly all brother ranging from $ 200 and up, no problem until now............ Customer support I don't know I don't call any of them since at least 10 years..

But first you have to know how much cost the printer to run. Check the price of the toner and drum..... divide the price of the toner by the # of page you can print , do the same with the drum ( if not include with the toner ) use excel and compare.... and it will give you and idea on how much the printer will cost ...
Old May 2, 2009, 05:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

wise words dataxpert

know the projected thruput of the printer (in pages per month) and work backwards from there. High volume means a high volume unit. Low volume means anything you can afford.

Even a simple B&W laser printer has options that you should consider... these will impact the price:

- duplex printing?
- networkable? (wired/wireless)
- compatibility? not all laser printers have drivers to work on windows 2008 server for example.

for small cheap office desk lasers i've had great success with Canon products. something to consider beyond the already recommended Xerox, Brother and HP products.