Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Need to buy a Digital cam!

I'm like real tempted to get that Digital cam http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...082&quantity=1 ...It has a super sale rebate! Thanks to HWC.com Hmm.. Does it look good to you guys ? I want to be able to take superb pics ranging from outside (Sunny day, Moon-rising etc...) to a CPU's batch number written onto it. Will it do the job ? Is 6MP enough ?

64mb memory card sucks thought... Could i buy a bigger one separately ?

Thanks!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old June 15, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Found this one http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20PHOTO%20FILM It has great reviews all over the web. But what refrain me from buying it is it's form and size.
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old June 15, 2007, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

don't know much about this model in particular. since i bought mine last year i've stopped researching them.
i went with the Olympus SP-500 UZ 6.0. pretty much the same form factor as the one your looking at. good and solid camera. form and size was a deciding factor for me , among the myriad of tech specs. i found all the other dc's felt too small or fragile in my hands. i wanted something i could wrap my hands around and not have to hold it by my fingure tips.
Patioe, you're in Mtl, just head over to any DuMoulin Electro. if the don't have that particular model, you'll at least be able to handle one and try it out in the store without that pesky security cable attached to it.
and yes you can get a larger mem card. min's 1Gb. i would just recommend that you make sure it's not "proprietary" like Sony sticks.

6 Megapixel Digital Camera : 10x Optical Zoom Digital Camera : Ultra Zoom Digital Camera

Last edited by Unklmo; June 15, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old June 15, 2007, 10:16 PM
JayDee

I bought a camera about a month ago. I looked at alot of different price ranges and since I doubted I'd take many pictures I bout a Kodac 6 megapix at Walmart for $125 and a 512Mb memcard for another $25 and it was the right decision for me (as I said I won't be taking alot of pix). But I was also looking at a nicer Sony that might interest you

Canada Computers - Digital Cameras > Prosumer : Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Digital Camrea with Ultra-Powerful Zoom - 6MP 12x Optical Zoom Blur Free Technology.
Old June 16, 2007, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm checking the models you posted. Both look like the one i posted in my second post. With a few differences between them. But yeah, i take a crap load of pics so it might be better for me to go out and try some live in a shop. Anyway, thanks!

If anybody has more recommendations, post away!
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old June 16, 2007, 05:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

realistically, imo, anything above 6.0 megapixels is wasted on the average user unless you're working in RAW format or plan on making poster size prints. 3/4's of ppl that take photos don't even bother printing them out most of the time. call it laziness?
me, i want to show off my pics and rather than put a selection on a cd, or leave them on my hd and forget about them, i picked up a digital storage viewer. let me tell you, pretty dang handy once you start doing the post-wedding rounds and have close to 700 pic's to show.
Archos Online Store
grabbed one at Future Shop on sale for $350 about a year ago.
Old June 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
Allstar

Hey Patriote. Imo if you want quality and versitilty you wanna pick up one similaer to the fuji you posted. Especially if you take lotsa pics in different lighting and distances. I have the canon s3 is. It's great for close ups(puter parts serial #'s) and 10x optical zoom. Don't even bother with digital zoom (sucks) I took a pic of my swiftech cpu block from about 2feet away and when you zoom in on the shot you can see the diamond shaped pins clearly through the barbs:) It takes great low light pics and has a lot of auto setting that work great....and manual settings are endless. One thing I really love about the camera is the manuals. 2 manuals....basic which will inform you on all of the auto settings and advanced manual which runs through manual settings in detail. Just my 2 cents but if you wanna camera to take lots of high quality pics and be flexible you should look at cams like the fuji or the canon:) Another bonus is mine takes beter video than my mini dv cam lol.
Ps:cameras that take sd mem are the way to go now as sd is very cheap. Just saw 2gg mem card for $18:)
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old June 16, 2007, 08:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking for something on the lower end of the scale, and find that you want one of the smaller form factor (not tiny, just the standard digital size) cameras, make sure you check out the canon models for that as well.

My young lad picked up one last year and it takes pretty decent pics.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Best two brands of cameras on the market is Canon and Nikon. Canon has some really nice small p+s shoot cameras for under $400 and megapixels mean absolutely nothing.

The only reason you want to go to a higher megapixel for is so you can shoot larger pictures and get larger prints, but for the most people a 3 or 4 megapixel camera is plentiful, but due to the way cameras are made you'll usually only find them starting around 6 megapixel.
Old June 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Always try out a camera first-hand before buying it, to have a sense of the feel while holding it.

6mp is more than plenty.

Forget digital zoom, crappy quality.

1gb SD card is plenty. Will hold about 250 pics, at max res on 6mp.

All makes and models are similar in your price range - all have a very common compression engine. Simply choose the one that fits the best in your hand, that has the optical zoom you want (you may not need 10x), and the lowest price.

I'm an avid photographer for more than 20 years. My equipment?

Nikon D50
Nikon D40 10mp
Sigma 28-200 ASM
Nikon 80-400 VR
Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR

and She-who-must-be-obeyed' Nikon S9.

John