Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Mouse - Optical vs Laser

Hey folks..looking at picking up a new Keyboard n Mouse.
Gonna get this one:..can you believe $126 at FS??!!
https://www.bestdirect.ca/products/1...0379/Logitech/

Now the Mouse..looking at either one of these, although the "Optical" is $30 cheaper...
Optical - https://www.bestdirect.ca/products/1...oft%20Trading/
Laser - Buy Soft Trading [62001] Steelseries Ikari Laser Professional Gaming Mouse

I play mostly FPS..not hardcore, but enjoy a "responsive" mouse...been using a Logitech Optical (about 3 yrs old) and find it pretty good...I am leaning towards the Steel Optical..

Your thoughts?

Old March 17, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The laser version has double the DPI... 1600 DPI is kinda low if you want to turn down your mouse sensitivity in FPS games and then crank your DPI for more accuracy, you'll need more than that.

And advantage to laser vs. optical (other than the much higher DPI ability) is just better mouse surface reading... if you have a reflective desk an optical mouse may lose track at times, where the laser mouse will not (only on mirrors and clear surfaces) If you have a mouse pad it doesn't really make a difference in that department... I'd spend the extra and get the laser version, plus it looks like a different design anyways (the one that people are raving about!)

Optical is going out in the gaming area... it's more for low end mice.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by Jake_HT; March 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to be totally honest I notice know difference between the two well except for the price . the mouse I liked the mouse was an optical Logitech 518, all of my fps games I was very accurate, when I bought a raptor laser there was no real difference so I gave my optical to my nephew and then my raptor broke so I picked up a cheapo ocz laser mouse ( $20.00 ) it is a great little mouse but I have big hands. any way long story short I see or feel any significant difference between mice except for the huge price difference ,I think that when people say things about how great there expensive mouse is well its in there heads.
Old March 18, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I bought my Deathadder cause it looks cool and has a cool name. :P It also functions very well, fits my hand nicely and I like the size & feel of the thumb buttons. I'm not sure I would buy it for $70+ retail though, I paid $45. If the only difference between the two Ikari you linked is optical vs laser, I would buy the optical.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 18, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah ok already purchased...went with:
https://www.bestdirect.ca/products/1...0379/Logitech/
Buy Soft Trading [62000] Steelseries Ikari Optical Professional Gaming Mouse
and a couple of 4 Ft USB Extensions cause the damn things are always about 6 inches to short!

$165 shipped including taxes for all....

Old June 7, 2009, 10:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

FPSLabs - FPSLabs Home News Story - Kim Rom on the SteelSeries Ikari

Bottom paragraph. This is coming from an industry professional.

With that being said, the shortcomings that laser technology has had to their optical predecessors is narrowing. By next year, the smoothness and reliability of tracking of laser technology will be nearly indistinguishable from optical mouses.