Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2009, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

Default Surge protector or small UPS?

I am looking at either a surge protector or a UPS. While in a big-box store I noticed a 750w UPS with surge protection for about the same price as a decent surge protector (6500J I think).

I thought that a UPS may perform better than a surge protector to not only suppress surges but also help clean up the power (being out in the country) and allow the computer to shut down properly during power outs.

Thanks for the thoughts
Old March 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
MVP

Let's just say I spend $1200USD on a couple UPS units. Surge is fine for overvoltage, but it stinks for undervoltage.
Old March 7, 2009, 08:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I highly doubt a 750W UPS was the same price as a surge protector. 750W UPS is like $200+ from what I've seen, and I've never seen a $200 surge protector.

It was probably 750VA which is no where near 750W. That's more like 400W. Also I don't think UPS's have as good over-voltage protection as a surge protector, but they protect against undervoltage.

I don't know if it's recommended or not, but it almost seems like you'd need both to get the best over and under voltage protection IMO.
Old March 7, 2009, 08:57 PM
MVP

Most name brand UPS units handle overvoltage just as well if not better than a surge protector. Especially if it's a $3 no name surge protector.

Now... if they're both $3 noname brand items... you might as well use a tesla coil for a power source...
Old March 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
Top Prospect

You are right, it is a 750vA (450w) UPS. My mistake.

The store recently adjusted the price to $119 for the unit (APC) and the surge protector was $99. So for the $20 I was hoping a UPC would be the better option.
Old March 7, 2009, 09:09 PM
MVP

WTF kind of surge protector is $99?

Even a good APC with a 1/2 million isn't $99 (I don't think)
Hell, I doubt even Monster Cable surge protectors are $99
Old March 7, 2009, 10:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
WTF kind of surge protector is $99?

Even a good APC with a 1/2 million isn't $99 (I don't think)
Hell, I doubt even Monster Cable surge protectors are $99
Monster Cable ones are IIRC but yeah anything else isn't. Maybe like $50 tops.

Unless this surge protector is more of a power filtering device as well.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I will say that my UPS works great and I much prefer it over just a simple surge protector.

With the APC software I can adjust how much over and under voltage I will allow before it kicks in. So yes I trust it much more than a surge bar. If you are talking about a good deal then I recommend getting one, even more so if you are in an area that loses power frequently. Mine is a APC Back-UPS RS800 and it covers my machine as well as my monitor and a phone if I recall. And that is with room to spare.

Old March 8, 2009, 12:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well I will say that my UPS works great and I much prefer it over just a simple surge protector.

With the APC software I can adjust how much over and under voltage I will allow before it kicks in. So yes I trust it much more than a surge bar. If you are talking about a good deal then I recommend getting one, even more so if you are in an area that loses power frequently. Mine is a APC Back-UPS RS800 and it covers my machine as well as my monitor and a phone if I recall. And that is with room to spare.

QFT, you can't beat a good UPS, a surge protector will help for overvoltage but if the power goes out you still have a chance of losing files and having a corrupt OS when the system powers down unexpectedly.

I picked up my APC 1500VA 865 watt one at Costco for $215. It will handle anything up to 1.25KW so I'm sure it will handle pretty much any system out there. It handles my system, monitor, speakers, modem and router with room to spare. Gives about 10 minutes of runtime in the event of a power outage, enough time to close/save everything and power down safely.
Old March 8, 2009, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Let's just say I spend $1200USD on a couple UPS units. Surge is fine for overvoltage, but it stinks for undervoltage.
I would couple a GOOD surge protector with a quality power supply that protects both overvoltage and undervoltage (mine does).

Those UPSs can be very heavy and when shopping for one you have to take into account the RATING vs. the equipment connected to it ! Most people buy surge protectors or UPS without looking at specs, thinking they are all the same when they aren't.

The UPS has the advantage of delivering stored and steady current to your PC.