Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect

Question Anyone have an X6 Keyboard ? Comments ?

Apparently, you can't press 3 keys at the same time, or something like that. I saw comments on Newegg.ca that say they could not do Left-CTRL+W+R in FPS (go forward, crouched, and reload). I personnaly tend to remap to C instead of left CTRL.

If I gather it right though, they were able to use the right-CTRL with W & R, which is not convenient since you have to let go the mouse or have a surgically modified hand or finger.

I'm considering this Microsoft Keyboard because I use my PC as a gaming rig and HTPC in my living room, so I could do without the numeric keypad to save space. The volume knob is also a feature I like. Other mini keyboards aren't as attractive.

I'm curious to know if the cruise key is also convenient or not.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old March 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
SanjoTHEBanjo

its the best keyboard i have ever used in my life. ive used:

logitech g15
logitech g11
logitech illuminated
razer tarantla
razer lycosa
microsoft reclusa

it mangles all of them
Old March 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
MVP

I tried one out at work and it was a pretty overwhelming meh....

It feels cheap, especially with the way the numpad disconnects (a good idea but poorly implemented). The whole keyboard feels flimsy to me and I don't like the laptop like feel of the keys. Though this is entirely your preference.

I don't like the placement or size of the volume knobs and one seemed to wobble as it turned, again, nowhere near the quality of my G15. Didn't get to use the cruise key but the whole idea seems kind of hoakey to me.

I would take it over the razer keyboards but there is no comparison from the Sidewinder to the Logitech.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you cant press 3 buttons at once you shouldnt be gaming on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 10, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you cant press on 3 keys at once you shouldn't even be typing with one

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 10, 2009, 05:19 PM
MVP
F@H

Ummmm... Ctrl+Alt+Del, 3 very important keys used together!!!
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am talking wasd. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 14, 2009, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I bought it. I like it, but it's not perfect.

Indeed, the cruise key is pretty much useless because of where it's positionned. If you want to keep walking in an FPS, you have to get the mouse hand free to press it while pressing the "w" key (or crouch if you want to stay low for a bit). Unless you've got long and very flexible fingers that can do funky gymnastics, you gotta let go the mouse.

But otherwise, when I used it (cruise) once in multi fps, I stepped into some action all of a sudden, and instead of pressing "w" again to turn the thing off, I pressed sideways, left, right, but kept going forward and got clumsy, then fragged x_x . It's just not natural. Takes getting used to. Somehow, instinctively to be accurate, I thought any of the movement keys would turn off the cruise feature. The last thing I do when I hit an action spot is go forward.

Another cumbersome feature are the function keys that I accidently hit every once in a while, while my hands search for the proper position on the keyboard. So instead of tab, I sometimes hit one of those function keys. This is usually outside of gaming, but it also happens when I wait for a respawn where I take the hands off the keyboard.

Actually, the cruise key should have been put right with those function keys. This way my pinky could hit it while his neighbourly finger stays put on "w".

And last, but not least, someone remarked how larger than usual the space bar is. And indeed, the right "alt" key is a bit out of reach at times, not where I'm used to. Something of an annoyance.

Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied, like the red lighting, the knobs, how heavy and sturdy it is and stays put with the rubber underneath (y'all want the thing to not move).

I'll give it an 8.5/10
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old March 14, 2009, 10:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

Just out of curiosity, what are the positives to the keyboard? You pretty much listed that it has lights and has rubber mounts, which in my honest opinion don't outweigh clumsy design

Old March 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This is a beautifull keyboard, I to have used all the top end gaming boards (G15, G15v2 ect..) and the key strokes on this board are 100% better. I havent had the same problems with the crouch forward reload? I was doing it in FEAR 2 not 5 minutes ago. Benefits of this keyboard? Movable or removable number pad +1, Great backlighting with a really nice control knob, responsive volume nob thats big enough for when you only want to turn it down a notch. I went from a MX5000 keyboard to this so the exit key thing didnt bother me, their in roughly the same spot. Like I mentioned the keys feel way nicer then the G15v2, you can feel the quality in every key stroke. I hated all microsoft stuff up untill this keyboard, it won me over big time. Oh and the software is much lighter to use then the logitech stuff, although I have to run both because of my G5 =( all I can say is I love this keyboard.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.