Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
Allstar

my usb headset is ok, but it doesnt go very loud... Also the "software" volume control is lame because for whatever reason it doesnt work in all games (looking at you stalker)

having said that it sounds great, but I have onboard so who knows...
Old February 19, 2009, 09:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I heard these at CES. They were a FAR ways off from what I would call an acceptable solution for surround sound. The USB aspect means that you will be bypassing any sound card you may have and I just don't count that as acceptable.

Since the majority of the sound processing will be done on the software side I assume, it would mean the CPU would be loaded more than it normally would if you were using speakers and an onboard Realtek solution. How is this suitable for gaming?
Old February 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
Allstar

I am not sure, but I think my MS headset has its own soundcard built into the dongle, would this not be h/w?

the driver was tiny, so I figured this was the case...
Old February 19, 2009, 09:40 AM

Zalman's surround sound headset used 3 jacks which is the direction I would go if I were building any multi-channel headset.
Old February 19, 2009, 12:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
my usb headset is ok, but it doesnt go very loud... Also the "software" volume control is lame because for whatever reason it doesnt work in all games (looking at you stalker)

having said that it sounds great, but I have onboard so who knows...
when you plug in the headset, go to your audio options and set the USB headset as the default device. (not confirmed)
but that should in theory work :D
Old February 19, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sky your arguments are completely valid but my only disagreement is that USB is all anyone looking for a "surround sound headset" would ever need. I mean lets be honest, if sound quality is what you're looking for you shouldn't even be listening to music on your PC let alone off MP3's. These headphones for gaming more than fill the roll they are intended to. But if you want to watch movies etc and require headphones vs speakers you would most definitely be looking at a proper set of stereo headphones which offer absolutely satisfactory spacial awareness.

Really the market these headphones are designed for are the "pro-sumer" who considers themselves and "audiophile". Truly if music or film listening is what you are aiming for you shouldn't even be considering a PC option.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 19, 2009, 04:09 PM

I beg to differ. Sound quality is EVERYTHING when it comes to in-game effects. Case and point: the directional sound effects are killer in Left 4 Dead and the last thing you want is some conflict with the software that cane with the $200 headphones you just bought.

If a headset is marketed with 7.1 effects, it better deliver and it should not bypass any expensive audio hardware I already have in my system. Heck, the majority of mobos and EVERY sound card has 5.1 DDL and most have 7.1 as well. The jacks are there, the hardware support is there, so why not use what most people have and make the USB support an OPTION?
Old February 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You have a valid point there for sure. I have been using these headphones and so far I've found that they work very well for surround sound effects in games, I've not used them with L4D but I play COD4 very seriously and sounds are key to winning in that game a lot of the time. What at CES stuck out to you right away in terms of audio quality/lack of other than the fact it was USB and thus obviously a problem to you?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 19, 2009, 05:02 PM

I found that the directionality was very good but the fidelity frankly wasn't very good.

Can you log your CPU usage as you play the games?
Old February 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I too found the directionality very good as well, I didn't think the fidelity was stellar but I thought it was acceptable. I ask because I know some of the audio guys from Logitech have been watching these forums so I'm certain they will read this and take note.

You asking me if I can log my CPU usage while playing games? I think it's possible?