Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need help with Printer support on Vista 64 bit

Thanks to this site I've finished assembling my new computer and installed the software.

The problem now is that I'm running Vista 64 bit when on my old computer I had been running Windows XP 32 bit.

I have a printer that I really like and don't want to get rid of it but it isn't supported on Vista 64 bit.

I found a site that has managed to fix the problem by using the printer on a network but had a lot of difficulty getting it to work..

Essentially, now I'm using the computer with the Vista 64 bit as my home attached to the printer, and I have a laptop using Vista 32 bit which I was hoping to set the printer up on as described in the instructions.. Can anyone provide some inisight as to what is the problem.

Here is the site information:

HOWTO: PagePro 1350W on x64 Vista?

11 03 2007
The last “issue” with x64 Vista has been getting my Konika Minolta PagePro 1350W laser printer to work. My HP PhotoSmart C5180n works like a CHAMP in x64. Vista detects the IP, installs the new drivers, and we’re good to go. The 1350W, my workhorse printer, just sits there.
Now, I’m sure I would have caught this earlier if, well, I ran the Vista Readiness Analyzer or something, but… heh, what’s the fun in that? According to Konica Minolta’s web site, Vista will have a x86 driver, but there has never and will never be a x64 bit driver. Well, that’s pretty poor.
Here’s how I worked around it:
  1. If you have another x86 machine, which I do (Win XP SP2), install the printer on that machine using the correct x86 printer drivers.
  2. Network share that printer out, ex: \\devserver1\PagePro1350
  3. On the x64 Vista machine, download the Windows XP x64 PagePro 1400W printer drivers. Extract them to a directory you can get to.
  4. Add a new printer (as administrator). Assign it to the FILE: port for now, but associate the 1400W printer driver to it.
  5. Go into the printer’s properties (as administrator), Ports tab.
  6. Click the ‘Add Port…’ button. Add a Local Port and for the path, put in the UNC path from step #2 above.
  7. UNCHECK ‘Enable bidirectional support’. This doesn’t appear to work with that checked.
  8. Click Apply.
  9. Print a test page. W00t.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
Allstar

I didn't have any luck setting up my W1400 to print on the network either ...
It print when attached to the computer but that's it.
In XP or VISTA.
Old November 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the reply! I can't get it to print when attached to the computer since it is not suported by Vista 64bit, nor can I get it to work using the network method described..

Anyone know if setting the printer up on a network with a laptop, does the laptop have to stay connected via the network cable for the printer to work?
Old November 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Chances are .. you'll need a new printer.