Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Keyboard selection

Hello,

My keyboard is currently dying on me, so I need to choose a keyboard for myself... I know I should go and try them first, but I'd like to get some ideas too and opinions from people who own them or have used them.

I do mostly basic stuff with it, basic office, web browsing... a bit of gaming, but mighty old stuff for now.... I would obviously like to keep the keyboard for my new rig...

I have been interested in the Saitek Eclipse II for quite some time. Otherwise, for much cheaper, there is the Logitech 350 which is 8.88 on surprise special at NCIX. I know there are many others too... but it would be pointless to name them all. My budget would be pretty much 70$ max, but that's already pushing it, that's why the eclipse II makes me wonder... I have always had some cheapo keyboard I think.

Ooh and I use a french keyboard, I like the big Enter key and the big backspace. Not sure if there are other keys which can be very different in sizes.
Old November 6, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

any o'l keyboard will do bro. some have special buttons for different things, but unless your a heavy gamer that'll make use of programable buttons, they're just a waste of space. Now, the one thing i can say is handy, only if you work in low light, is the backlit keyboards. other than that, a keyboards just a keyboard. of course if you prefure the ergonomic type, thats different, but theres not so many options there...

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old November 7, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is effectively very little light in my room... The only lamp I can open is suficient, but sometimes I wished I could just let it turn off.
Old November 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II, and the overall feel of it is solid. the keys feel solid, and light up well with the exception of the # pad which is a little dimmer, good size keys but if your an avid gamer then you will notice the A W S D rubbing out a bit after long use but I had the same problem with my old Logitech G15 as well. NCIX.com has it on sale for $50.00 right now.

NCIX.com - Buy Saitek Eclipse 2 Keyboard Silver Black 104 Key W/ Purple Red Blue Key Illumination - PK02AU In Canada.
Asus P5K Deluxe / Intel Core2Quad Q9550@8x425@3400mhz(1.225v) / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / 4Gigs DDR2 1066mhz(5-5-5-15) Corsair Dominator / Diamond HD4870x2 / Asus Xonar / WD Raptor 74gb / Hitachi 160GB / Antec Quattro 850w / Logitech Z-680 5.1 / Dell Ultrasharp 24" / 2 LG Optical Drives / Vista Ultimate 32bit / A tower that's been drilled, cut, and bent to fit all of my fans
Old November 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

If you want something simple, there are a lot of people (including myself) who are big fans of the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 board. Fairly basic, it's got a few extra buttons for A/V control, just enough of a curve to be comfortable, without completely reinventing the wheel. You can grab it at just about any Staples/Office Depot for between $20-30, give it a shot beforehand, and it holds up well. Honestly, I'd have switched to a gaming keyboard by now, but I have yet to find one that feels as good.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

MS Comfort Curve 2000! I have seen it for as low as $14-$15. Great KB, I love the low profile keys and action. Just the right hot keys for me too. If mine died today, I'd buy another one without even thinking about it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have the eclipse I and love it to bits. Also if your looking for a gamer keyboard the G15/G11 is quite popular. But i do really miss keytronic they made awesome no frills keyboards.

Old November 21, 2008, 12:29 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
i have the eclipse I and love it to bits. Also if your looking for a gamer keyboard the G15/G11 is quite popular. But i do really miss keytronic they made awesome no frills keyboards.
I have that as well & only the shift+7=& doesn't work all the time but it's getting old to so...

I'm getting the G15 next though as I want the display to keep an eye on temps cause I'll be watercooling.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

You really should wander through the stores and pound on a few, because a keyboard is a personal thing.
I love my G15 for gaming in low light, but for typing it just doesn't have the feedback logitech's other keyboards have.
Feels more spongy, and with the lights up, even with the backlight the key letters are hard to see.
As in the bottom of the letters shine through more than the tops.
I may get a second kb for xmas.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I have that as well & only the shift+7=& doesn't work all the time but it's getting old to so...
I also have the Eclipse but my WASD keys are getting worn out. I can't push W and 2 together, and I kinda need that when I play DODS or L4D, so I get really pissed when it happens. I'm thinking about a new keyboard as well. But I really don't know which to get...