Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2008, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Default Need Mouse/Keyboard

So, to save some money on my new build i got a 25 dollar mouse/keyboard combo, needless to say, its no where near par. So I'm trying to get some opinions on what to get. I'd like to buy them as a combo (to free up some USB ports). I'm looking for wireless, rechargeable, with a battery indicator for the mouse; And, back lit (preferable blue), wireless, semi-quite keys, with some decent gaming features (programmable hot keys ect, ect...) I'm not on any set budget really, but I don't really wanna drop more than 200 on the two, unless I know they are worth it! Any brands to specifically look for? any to stay away from????

Thanks!
GPU: BFG GTX 260 OC Memory OCZ Reaper PC8500(2 X 1gb)
Case: Antec 900]
PSU: CoolMax RM-750
Storage: WD 500gb SATA; WD 1tb SATA
Old November 1, 2008, 10:33 PM
MVP

One of, if not the best wireless mouse is the Logitech MX Revolution. I owned one briefly and loved it though sold it due to the low DPI. (I prefer wired and 2500+DPI) It's very comfortable, has tons of features and can be had for under $50 if you know where to look. I got mine for $43 at Costco.

As for keyboards, I'm pretty sure you won't find one that is backlit with programmable buttons and wireless. I would imagine the backlight puts unnessecary drain on the keyboard's batteries, hence why I've never seen one. If your willing to go wired, I really like the g11/g15 series from Logitech, as do many others I know. The G15 retails at around $70 but again, can be had for under $50.

As for brand preference, I'm a huge Logitech fan. I've owned their products for years and have only had one issue. One of the media keys got stuck the first time I used my G15 and they sent me a new one no questions asked. They even let me keep the broken one that was fixed with some super glue.
Old November 1, 2008, 10:42 PM

My System Specs

MX Revolution is not a gaming mouse. I absolutely love mine, but will not use it for gaming.
Old November 2, 2008, 07:25 AM
Rookie

I would be willing to go wired for the keyboard to get some back lit goodness. Ill check out the G11/15. Thanks

What are peoples opinions on Razer products?

Last edited by Jesterhead; November 2, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old November 2, 2008, 10:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhead View Post
I would be willing to go wired for the keyboard to get some back lit goodness. Ill check out the G11/15. Thanks

I've got the Rev1 G15 and a Razer Deathadder. The G15 is an amazing keyboard, it looks good, feels EXTREMELY good and has tons of macro buttons. So many macro buttons I can't even use half of them, I mostly just bind them to different apps as I don't have any use for them in FPS's. The Deathadder is a great mouse, but Razer's driver's were pretty sketchy in the beginning, they are much better now though. It can take a little bit of effort to get it to be configured how you want it, but once it is configured just right it is an awesome mouse. I also used to use a Logitech MX518 which I still recommend strongly. The two extra buttons over the Deathadder to adjust sensitivity on the fly were cool, but I found that a few seconds after switching sensitivity I'd either be turning too fast or too slow since I was still sued to the other speed.
Old November 2, 2008, 04:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhead View Post

Awful, had nothing but problems with my Razer Lachesis and it was nowhere near the quality of my G9. Also owned one of their headsets and the earcups began to tear within a month of use. (I don't beat up my stuff either)
Old November 2, 2008, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Interesting lol! So, completely opposite feelings lol, I think I'll go to futureshop tomorrow and see if I can take a couple mice for a test drive lol. I was specifically looking at the Lachesis too!

Thanks guys!