Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 08:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default amBX Gaming peripherals

I never even heard of this until I seen it as an option in Farcry2
http://www.ambx.com/
Basically a set of peripherals; lights, fans, rumble bar, etc to enhance the atmosphere of gaming.
Since it looks like Farcry2 is going to be my new obsession for the next little while Iím seriously looking at this.
I need to feel the wind in my face as I look out over the plains!
Anybody have any experience with this system?
Old October 28, 2008, 09:48 AM

My System Specs

looks extremely silly IMO
Old October 28, 2008, 10:07 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I can deal without the 5000 rpm fans in my face, but the ambient color thing may have some merit.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I think the whole thing is a gimmick. For example, I seem to remember an HDTV that had similar "lighting effects" ( a Samsung? Don't remember) yet that model seems to have been discontinued afaik since it wasn't popular at all. If you really want to experience your games in a different way, wait for my Matrox Triplehead2Go review later this week or maybe try getting one of these: NOVINT I hope to get my hands on one and review it for you guys someday
Old October 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

Found this review; http://www.guru3d.com/article/philips-ambx-gamers-kit-review/

Has 64bit drivers and the 2.1 speakers are fine with me, as thatís all I have now,
even though I use the 7.1 output for headphones (Razer) when gaming. The fan is variable speed btw.
Definitely cheaper with exchange rates if ordered from the UK. 169L vs 279US

Oh it may be silly, but Iím thinking hmmm.. I wonder if my desk has space for it.
Old October 28, 2008, 11:09 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

As I suspected:

"The Verdict
Right, I had a really fun time testing amBX. There's no need to make this a long conclusion, it's worth the money you spend on it. Fact remains, no matter how many peripherals you put into the kit, it's really all about the lights, these are the magic maker. And you might think, heck it's only a couple of lights, trust me when I say... it makes a distinction that you cannot grasp until you see it yourself. The rumblepad
then, quite fun... but after a while you realize that you won't use it as an armrest so you move it away. It's still fun to notice some vibration here and there though. The ventilators, granted very cool. But not really needed. In fact when used too much or setup hard (configurable by the way) the fans can actually get to a point where they are slightly exasperating. Nope my dear Guru's - the true value and 90% of the fun is to be found in the lights and the actual sound-kit."

Old October 28, 2008, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... somebody is always trying to market something along this vein.... anybody remember the "Doom" chest pad? It would give you a thump in the chest every time you got shot..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 29, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll take my 5.1 system and the vibration of my subwoofer over the "pretty colours" anyday
Old November 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
Trial Member

Thumbs up For your info

Hello Guys!

I have a brand new ambx Premium kit - Never used- still in the box.
It's a gift for my birthday but I'm not a gamer . I d'ont use it and I try to find someone who can buy it.

I live in Montreal and I can ship the box with Purolator at a good price .

I will sell it at a really good price.

Please let me know.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigorno View Post
Hello Guys!

I have a brand new ambx Premium kit - Never used- still in the box.
It's a gift for my birthday but I'm not a gamer . I d'ont use it and I try to find someone who can buy it.

I live in Montreal and I can ship the box with Purolator at a good price .

I will sell it at a really good price.

Please let me know.
Welcome to the forums Bigorno.

You'll need to make a thread in our "buy and sell" area in order to sell this item on Hardware Canucks. Please don't forget to provide images as per the buy and sell rules (they're in a sticky).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP