Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Trying to Reach 3.8Ghz on E7200

I'm trying to overclock the E7200 to 3.8Ghz on a EP35-DS3L, however it's not passing over a minute of OCCT. I'm trying to get it stable at 3.7Ghz at the moment. The temperatures are fine and they won't pass over 63C when I'm running Linpack.

Here are my BIOS settings:

C1E, EIST, TM2: All disabled
FSB: 390Mhz
PCI-E: 100Mhz
C.I.A.2: Disabled
RAM Multiplier: 2.00 (1:1)
RAM Timings: 5-5-5-15
FSB Voltage: +0.1V
MCH Voltage: Standard
CPU Voltage: 1.375V in BIOS. CPU-Z Idle: 1.328V. CPU-Z Load:1.296V.

Any advice on how to get it up to 3.8Ghz and above is greatly appreciated.
Old September 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
MVP
F@H

Try increasing some of the voltages (FSB and/or vCore).

What is you memory rated at? I'm assuming its DDR2-800.
Old September 4, 2008, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty316 View Post
Try increasing some of the voltages (FSB and/or vCore).

What is you memory rated at? I'm assuming its DDR2-800.
How much vcore can I give in the BIOS, and from CPU-Z? I'm already sitting at 1.3875Vcore in BIOS which is 1.344 during idle and 1.312V under load.

My RAM is rated at DDR800, and it's running at DDR782 right now.
Old September 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Try 1.4 volts on the cpu i think your cpu should handle that and turn your ram down a bit as well how much volts are you putting on your ram ?
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 5, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Try bumping vFSB to +2
Try upping vMCH to +2
If those don't stablize things, you may need some more vCore...but i doubt it(you should be safe up to 1.50v for benching sessions, and 1.40v-1.45v for 24/7 usage). On my
GA P35-DS3L w/E8400, i had/have to use vFSB +3, vMCH +3..depending on if i'm running 3D Benches...vPCIe +2 or +3.
Set PCIe speed to 101MHz....Please..it helps!
Set vDIMM to +4(2.20v..but the boards undervolt...that'll give you 2.03v-2.12v)
Also keep in mind that 3.7-3.9 is the average area where these chips(E7200) start getting more stubborn...they don't like trying to be clocked like their cousin...the E8400. GL geokilla

Last edited by 1Tanker; September 5, 2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old September 5, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a bit scared at going to 1.4V.....However, I will try it.

The RAM is running at the lowest multiplier I believe, which is 1:1, running BELOW the rated DDR800 at 5-5-5-15 with 1.9Vdimm. I've seen people post on NCIX that they got their RAM to run at DDR900+ with 2.1V.

@1Tanker. If I set the vFSB and vMCH to +0.2, would I damage the system/motherboard/CPU? I don't have active cooling on the MCH or south bridge or anything like that. All I have is a front intake and rear exhaust in my computer, plus the OCZ Vendetta 2 and the PSU fan. Plus, how would setting the vPCI-E to +0.2 or +0.3 help? I thought it'd only affect my graphic card overclocking and not the CPU. I currently have it at normal voltages for the PCI-E. I'll try setting the vdimm to +0.4 and the PCI-E to 101Mhz and see if it helps.

I'm sitting at 1.312V under load right now. I found something weird with Linpack though. I already raised the voltages up a bit notches, and Linpack constantly finishes at the 5556 second mark, saying that it's passed only 1 out of 50 tests. Anyone got an idea what the problem could be?

Edit: This time, the test finished in 5455 seconsd, passing 7 out of 50 tests. I'll now try raising the voltages a bit more and see what happens. However, I probably won't raise the FSB and MCH yet till I find out whether it'll kill my system components or not since I don't have active cooling on the MCH.

Last edited by geokilla; September 5, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old September 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Listen to the man and do what Tanker wrote.
Take a spare fan (even a household fan), open up your case and stick it next to the NB / SB blocks.
Why are you using Linpack? Use OCCT. 30 minutes custom test, 2 hours for full stability.
Download - OCCT Website english
Old September 5, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Listen to the man and do what Tanker wrote.
Take a spare fan (even a household fan), open up your case and stick it next to the NB / SB blocks.
Why are you using Linpack? Use OCCT. 30 minutes custom test, 2 hours for full stability.
Download - OCCT Website english
Err, my case is going to be enclosed in the desk, so a household fan wouldn't work well. It'd only be good for like suicide runs. I do have an AMD stock fan, but I have no idea how I can position it anywhere near the NB and SB.

What's so bad with Linpack? I thought you should aim for at least 5 passes of Linpack to make sure that your system is really stable.

I'm planning to get at least 10 passes on Linpack, then around 3 hours of OCCT, and 2 to 3 hours of Memtest. I'm running Memtest so I can try to get tighter timings.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Case enclosed in a desk is the worst location possible for clean air and good temps.
Linpack? In my 10 years of oc'ing (and 20+ in assembly), I've never heard about Linpack. OCCT is recongnized, fast. No need to test for 3 hours...
And why modify the mem timings when you're trying to overclock and stabilize your CPU? You should know that you oc and test for stability one part at a time - never both CPU and ram in the same session.

bah. do whatever you want.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Case enclosed in a desk is the worst location possible for clean air and good temps.
Linpack? In my 10 years of oc'ing (and 20+ in assembly), I've never heard about Linpack. OCCT is recongnized, fast. No need to test for 3 hours...
And why modify the mem timings when you're trying to overclock and stabilize your CPU? You should know that you oc and test for stability one part at a time - never both CPU and ram in the same session.

bah. do whatever you want.
Noooo. I'll get a pic of where the computer will go later. I think you understood me wrong.

I'm going to tighten the memory timings AFTER I get a stable overclock. Shoulda made that clear when I typed my post.

IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program - XtremeSystems Forums That's Linpack.