Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
Allstar

Default The Magic 4GHz

Lets try this again - tab got closed before I hit 'post'

Is there a magic secret to getting a QX9650 to 4.0 GHz? I pent the last two evenings trying to get it to boot at 4. It will post but hangs after loading the kernel in XP Pro.

I know it is possible as I've seen all kinds of posts with settings people have used to do it (and even so far as 5 on water and high voltage) but I cannot get it to boot, let alone run stable.

The best I have managed is 3.8 GHz to boot and run Prime 95 for about an hour, then it quit with errors. 3.7 ran Prim95 fine but locked up after about a half hour of DOOM 3. 3.6 runs quite stable and is what I am currently using.

Temps seemed within reasonable limits and I tried many of the settings others had used successfully with no joy. I am beginning to wonder if it might be a memory limitation.

I confess to being mildly bewildered as the last serious overclocking I did was back in the K6-2/III and Pentium 2 days when it was a much simpler process. :D

System specs are here at the bottom of the page: NyeOwl's Perch

Any suggestions or tips would be welcome. :help:
Old September 2, 2008, 07:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

We are a few with QX9650s. They are fussy chips to oc... First, 49C on the NB is high. Second, what is your Vcore for 4.0Ghz?
Old September 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
Banned
F@H

Heh. Mine was not fussy at all...but I gots me a good chip!

But first, I'll say this...8GB of ram? try 333x12 @ 1.45v, and if it's good, then drop volts and test again.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
Allstar

@3.0charlie vcore at 4GHz was 1.35, just at Intel's max spec for the cpu. It's on air and I really can't afford to burn it up at this point @cadaveca 1.45? on air? hmmm 333 ok bit below spec but worth a try. Trying to avoid having to pipe liquids
Old September 4, 2008, 04:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You'll never make it at 4.0 with less than 1.4V.
Old September 4, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Heh. Mine was not fussy at all...but I gots me a good chip!
Yeah, you just keep on gloating...

It's pretty rare for the QX9650's to be fully stable at 4Ghz with less than 1.4V (although there are some cherry chips out there that are). My own needs 1.4V, but by the time I try 4.2, it needs over 1.45V. As long as you're keeping temperatures down, 1.4V is fairly safe with these chips, although going beyond that is a matter of personal discretion.

You might consider using OCCT for stability testing at first, as it tends to find errors much faster than Prime95. Prime95 stability really doesn't mean much until you pass the 8hr mark, and even then it's not a sure thing.
Old September 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

2 hrs using OCCT is plenty.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
Allstar

I'll think on it. I dropped the NB, PLL and Term voltages a bit. Still stable and NB temp has dropped to 39C. I'd really like to play with this bur don't want to "fry" anything. The new hardware seems a little less forgiving in than department
Old September 6, 2008, 11:23 AM
Banned
F@H

I've had my cpu run to the point it was hot enough to throttle many times...haven't fried it yet.

But let's also put it this way, going by what you have on your page, my idle temps on water are higher than your load temps on air. I doubt heat should be your concern...have you even hit 60C?

Load @ 85c on water for me is an every day thing.

Old September 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
Allstar

It hit 60C at load for brief periods at 3.8 doing Prime95 blends. I may have a go later and see what happens. I do think I may have hit the limits of my memory though with the FSB around 420. OC and 8GB don't seem to go well together