Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2008, 09:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Need help with BIOS.

Hi peoples,

I am trying to run 8 GB (4X2 GB Redlines) at 1066 MHz (5-5-5-15 2.1 v) on a Gigabyte 965P-S3 Rev 3.3 motherboard. The memory ran well at those setting, 1 stick at a time, and each stick passed overnight testing with Memtest. I didn't try two sticks at a time though, because I forgot to, so that questions answer is a big N/A. I need help setting up my BIOS to run the memory at those speeds.

The timings are provided by Greg over at Mushkin. I also tried raising northbridge voltage +1, as suggested by Greg, but the system hanged at reboot. I found some info in the manual and I found some settings on the net, regarding overclocking of my motherboards product family, and I was able to boot but I got a long never ending beep after boot up (Link here). I went in BIOS to see if it was the temperatures but everything seemed to be fine. Long beeps are described to be DRAM errors in the manual but this one was just a single beep not long individual ones, unless I am misunderstanding the manual. I shut down after that and decided to post here to get some help setting it up.

4 X 2GB Mushkin Redlines
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel E6600
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB
Seagate 500 GB
Silverstone OP 650 watts
Old September 1, 2008, 08:25 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The ram sticks are fine - but the load that those 4 sticks put on the NB must be huge. Slap a fan next to the NB block and raise that Nb voltage to +0.3. If it still doesn't boot, then having those 4 sticks is too much for the NB.
Old September 1, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Why do people insist on trying to run their memory at the rated speed? Its absolutely not necessary as you'll only ever need at the most 800 to 850mhz. Running speeds of 1066 on a lot of boards just does not work especially in a 1x4 or 2x4 config
Old September 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Why do people insist on trying to run their memory at the rated speed? Its absolutely not necessary as you'll only ever need at the most 800 to 850mhz. Running speeds of 1066 on a lot of boards just does not work especially in a 1x4 or 2x4 config
I, running my ram @ 1066 and its a 1 X 4 config. And, at 1.8 Volts also. Dont know why it runs well at 1.8 V though. And notr did increase any voltages anywhere
Old September 1, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

You've got a much better X48 chipset, which has much more robust power circuits to back it up. World of difference over a 965P chipset.
Old September 1, 2008, 05:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks 3.0 Charlie, I will try that next time I get a chance. I am so happy I got that SpotCool last time I did some shopping :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The ram sticks are fine - but the load that those 4 sticks put on the NB must be huge. Slap a fan next to the NB block and raise that Nb voltage to +0.3. If it still doesn't boot, then having those 4 sticks is too much for the NB.