Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2008, 06:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Trying to learn

Hey Guys:)
Ok i got this system built by Capt Vortex!
I compleatly love this system it rocks!
That being said it does crash when playing games some times and the sound stutters bad untill i reboot .
So i am learning to oc it and i have it running at 4 gig (hell yea)
but i aint sure about my ram timimings, i have been running orthos and it tested out the cpu no problem but when i do a BLEND test on it it crashs about after 12 secs well i uped the voltage on my NB and ram and now it seems to being better :)
What should mty ram timings be on a Msi neo2 bios for the Gskill ram i have
(G.Skill
f2-8000cl5-26bpq
pc2-6400(400 mhz) )
Attached Images

Old August 31, 2008, 07:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Your at 3995MHz and only using 1.232V, nice man! way to go.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

lol well i think thats good:) have a lot to learn , but my main problem i think so far is understanding my ram timings, but i did pass orthose at these settings with the blend test:)
and i am at 1066 i think on my ram settings:)
Old August 31, 2008, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your basic mem timings look fine for that speed.

How long did you run orthos? I run for minimum 8 hours before I declare something stable, and even then I've had it crap out on me after 12+ hours. More than 6 hours probably doesn't make a big difference for day to day operations, but 24/7 operation for something like folding needs a good stress test. :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 31, 2008, 07:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Dave, listen the the Man; Orthos 8 hours, or my favorite OCCT for 2 hours. Then if you feel like it try folding with the SMP client. If after all that the rig is still up-and-running, then it's stable.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hey John always great to see you bud!
Ok orthos passed no problems now:) i am running occt as we speak , next i will run 3dmark and then last prime 95 if i am still running no crashs then i think i got the just kinda sorta of over clocking :)
lol now if i can just take her a bit higher on the cpu clock lol:)
worst i can do is fry my chip then i will just have to get a faster chip lol
Old August 31, 2008, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's the fun of it all.... :)

In all honesty though, it's been an awful long time since I've heard of somebody frying a chip without going stupid on it. Worst case scenario these days seems to be that they lose their upper end.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 31, 2008, 07:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Your basic mem timings look fine for that speed.

How long did you run orthos? I run for minimum 8 hours before I declare something stable, and even then I've had it crap out on me after 12+ hours. More than 6 hours probably doesn't make a big difference for day to day operations, but 24/7 operation for something like folding needs a good stress test. :)
I ran orthos for a good 6 to 8 hours no crash or any thing , and yes i think i finnaly got my ram timings right (whew that was a killer for a noonb lol) so i am running OCCT for 2 hours right now and then i will run Prime 95 for awhile :) that will just leave 3dmark for a score:)
Old August 31, 2008, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well i think if a person is going to OC and learn then sooner or later bad things will happen and they have to understand this and be prepaired to replace parts at there ownb cost :)
lol
So for me to learn then i must take chances:) wich i am willing to do lol
I still don't understand all the settings in these software programs and what they do or really mean but i think if i play long and hard enuff i will understand alot better and maybe some day understand it like you guys do :0
Old August 31, 2008, 07:57 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You already ran Orthos 6 hours minimum, with no bugs? You're on the right path.