Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

Guys i tell you ! I am having such a great time learning this oc stuff and wcing componets etc etc ,
i never knew puters could be such a great hobby :)
they are hard to future proof tho but thats ok , i will do like you guys and just keep on buying what it takes to play :)
Someone said you have to pay to play !
And i ain't rich but i have a few fun tickets i am saving up for another vid card and waterblocks for both cards etc etc and i def gonna go for the 32 sharp aqous(sp) screen 1080p :)
so in time this will be better than a great system but a kick arse system!!!!!
And i could't have done all this with out the sites and members help :)

So you guys got a member for life here :)
Old September 2, 2008, 02:16 AM
Top Prospect

Here's arguably the best OC Guide I have read yet to date "Overclocking Methodology
by eva2000"
. Have a read and hopefully it will help your understanding:

i4memory.com - Announcements in Forum : Asus Intel motherboards / CPU

Last edited by Boldeagle; September 2, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBane View Post
Guys i tell you ! I am having such a great time learning this oc stuff and wcing componets etc etc ,
i never knew puters could be such a great hobby :)
they are hard to future proof tho but thats ok , i will do like you guys and just keep on buying what it takes to play :)
Someone said you have to pay to play !
And i ain't rich but i have a few fun tickets i am saving up for another vid card and waterblocks for both cards etc etc and i def gonna go for the 32 sharp aqous(sp) screen 1080p :)
so in time this will be better than a great system but a kick arse system!!!!!
And i could't have done all this with out the sites and members help :)

So you guys got a member for life here :)
That's not completely true though... If a person doesn't make it about competing against other folks, anybody can play. The desired outcome should be finding the best possible results from whatever hardware you happen to have on hand.

Keep in mind that it's only been about 3 years since overclocking motherboards were mainstream. Overclocking has traditionally had two main groups...

The first group is the one that has all of the money and is looking for the highest possible benchmark. They buy all of the latest gear, and probably don't hang on to any piece of kit longer than 6 months.

The second group is the larger of the two, and they're comprised of more budget minded folks who are looking to squeeze real performance out of their systems in order to make them run like the high end gear they can't afford.

I like to think that I fall into the second catagory. My current favorite past OC was the lowly E1200 I managed to pump up to 3320. Nothing feels better than squeezing out more than 100% of the rated speed. :)

It can be an expensive hobby, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 2, 2008, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

I totally agree 100% word to word with sswilson. That is why you see users suggesting all the best bang for the buck stuff, we don't suggest high end stuff just because he wants to build a good system, imo all those high priced boards that Asus or gigabyte or whoever have are mostly too much, why spend so much, when you can buy low end boards achieve the same performance as the big boys. This goes for all parts.

I remember back in the days, can't recall, it was one of the Intel P4 chips, sorry can't recall which one, but it was less than $100, but it overclocked the hek out of itself, I remember every user who bought it got to at least 4.0ghz if not more.

One last thing, I'd suggest playing with rig for now, once you start upgrading, an upgrade bug is pricey, and it won't leave you alone.
Old September 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Keep in mind that it's only been about 3 years since overclocking motherboards were mainstream. Overclocking has traditionally had two main groups...

The first group is the one that has all of the money and is looking for the highest possible benchmark. They buy all of the latest gear, and probably don't hang on to any piece of kit longer than 6 months.

The second group is the larger of the two, and they're comprised of more budget minded folks who are looking to squeeze real performance out of their systems in order to make them run like the high end gear they can't afford.
I am in the 2nd group, although the current rig in my sign is the only one I have never overclocked ... yet

Another passion of mine is playing around with low powered systems like the Intel Atom.
I like to see how little of a system, in size and in power, it really takes to do tasks.

If you haven't already you should consider owning more than one system. It's nice to have others around when you bugger up ...
Old September 2, 2008, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

The most expensive does not mean the fastest gear. A couple of years ago there was the 805D CPU which was very reasonably priced but because of design parameters many could get them to run upto 4GHz on air. Another nice piece of gear at the moment is the Biostar TPower I45 (cost ~$200AUD) which many are getting to 6GHz and FSB 724MHz breaking some world records:

[Team.AU] E8500=6128MHz, Biostar P45 + Corsair PC10000 DOMINATORS 4-4-4-4 DualChannel - Overclockers Australia Forums

Biostar Tpower P45 does 724mhz fsb WR + 6006mhz E8500 - Overclockers Australia Forums

Both of these parts are very reasonably priced hardware and yet can outperform the most expensive gear "at that time". Sometimes the design parameters inadvertently create a winning formula at mid-range prices. It's not how much it cost but what you do with it.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
The most expensive does not mean the fastest gear. A couple of years ago there was the 805D CPU which was very reasonably priced but because of design parameters many could get them to run upto 4GHz on air. Another nice piece of gear at the moment is the Biostar TPower I45 (cost ~$200AUD) which many are getting to 6GHz and FSB 724MHz breaking some world records:

[Team.AU] E8500=6128MHz, Biostar P45 + Corsair PC10000 DOMINATORS 4-4-4-4 DualChannel - Overclockers Australia Forums

Biostar Tpower P45 does 724mhz fsb WR + 6006mhz E8500 - Overclockers Australia Forums

Both of these parts are very reasonably priced hardware and yet can outperform the most expensive gear "at that time". Sometimes the design parameters inadvertently create a winning formula at mid-range prices. It's not how much it cost but what you do with it.
Take into effect that the FSB they are pushing is also with the cpu multiplier dropped quite low.

But I consider myself a bit of 1 and 2 as I will buy the new processor or the new board to see where things will go; that's why I got a 8600 and the biostar board.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well i would say i am in the second group:0
i don't throw money around when i don't need to lol but if i feel i really need some thing then i will work at buying it!\
That said i look on here from other members first and try to get a good price on what i want and in return help other members that may or may not need the cash etc etc :)
Old September 2, 2008, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Take into effect that the FSB they are pushing is also with the cpu multiplier dropped quite low.

But I consider myself a bit of 1 and 2 as I will buy the new processor or the new board to see where things will go; that's why I got a 8600 and the biostar board.
True and he even turns one of the CPU cores off to get that. At the end of the day all's fair in WR OC's as long as the results haven't been fudged.