Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2008, 06:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Q6600, P5Q Pro & Vendetta 2

WOO! All my stuff showed up this morning as I was pouring my coffee, so a few careful hours putting all my stuff together, grabbing the annoying windows updates et al....I decided it was time to overclock.

Sweet MOTHER OF GOD there's a lot of guides, though finding one for a specific motherboard really does suck. Anyhoo, I took the intelligent bits of information from all that I read and finally went at it. Currently I'm just at 3.2GHz stable, but what really shocked the **** out of me was my temps! Around 45's for full load. I call that pretty nice, so I think I'm gonna have to try to bring the FSB up a bit more.

Still have a lot more reading to do for the P5Q though since there's quite a few options in here to play around with.

360FSB x 9, 1.38 vcore- Nice n' cool. Idle's around 20-24 depending on the room temp. Anyone have a similar board/cpu setup to offer some suggestions?

Thanks!
Neo
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 22, 2008, 07:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I don't own that board, but I've had (and still have) my fair share of Quads... 3.2Ghz with the Vcore you're using with a load temp of 45c is great. But be aware that you'll need a whole lot more volts to reach 3.6GHz, the typical Q6600 overclock. I've had a few of them, and they all needed 1.52V-1.55V to reach 400FSB. One did manage to hit 3.9GHz stable, with 1.55V.

Have fun!
Old August 23, 2008, 12:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hmmmm, 1.5's...sounds like it'd end up being a little too much for heat generation to be on air. Though I ended up switching things around with an 8x multi and 425 FSB, my VCore is at 1.45 but I plan on backing that down slowly to see if I can keep the temps down a bit more. It's around 59 on full load with Prime95. I forgot how fun OCing can really be ;)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 23, 2008, 01:55 AM
Top Prospect

Well done, sadly I'm stuck with my P5W DH (975) at the moment and hit the wall at 3.15GHz and as soon as I added my 4850 had to back off to 3.01GHz. I was told that the 975 is the limiting agent here (I had played with all voltages and had vCore at 1.45 but heat became the issue).
Old August 23, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wish I was stuck at 3.15GHz.

I was stable at 3.0GHz for a long time then I added another 2GB of ram and I could only get things stable after that at around 2.7GHz. The limiting factor for me is my board I have seen plenty of guides and such that show my board being good for OCing for the dual core but crap for the quads. I'm actually thinking of getting a new board but since I have the SLI set up it is a lot more limiting.

Oh and good luck on the OCing Neo

Old August 23, 2008, 04:35 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, Quads have a break point Vcore-wise; once reached, the Heat Load explodes and water is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I wish I was stuck at 3.15GHz.

I was stable at 3.0GHz for a long time then I added another 2GB of ram and I could only get things stable after that at around 2.7GHz. The limiting factor for me is my board I have seen plenty of guides and such that show my board being good for OCing for the dual core but crap for the quads. I'm actually thinking of getting a new board but since I have the SLI set up it is a lot more limiting.

Oh and good luck on the OCing Neo
You're adding a lot of stress on the NB: SLI, 2Gb sticks. How much did you push that Vmch?
Old August 23, 2008, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

I had vMCH at 1.5 I think but after hitting the wall I backed off and set it to auto.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks ipaine :) I ended up switching back to my 3.2 from the original post but was able to back it down to 1.37vcore and was stable in Prime overnight. Good to see because I was having no luck with 3.4 on the lower multi; though it was pretty late and I have a feeling it was just me overlooking something at 2am ;) Unfortunately my VID is 1.325....from what I've read it's a bad luck of the shelf picking draw for buying a Q6600 to overclock but that's what I get for buying retail LOL.

I'm just gonna spend some more time hunting through every forum I can find but it'll ultimately boil down to tinkering with some voltages as much as possible. I THINK that running a higher FSB and lower multi for 3.4 is the answer, just gotta find that one voltage which needs to be switched. Prime failed everytime after around 2 hours.
-Author Unknown
Old November 22, 2008, 11:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Woo update!

Well, so now that TJmax numbers are revised thanks to Intel, and I've upgraded my case and a few other things, here's the latest screenshot information from my computer :)

Stock haf running prime 95 after approximately 29 hours (give or take 3-4 hours)
Attached Images

-Author Unknown
Old November 23, 2008, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect

I've had a few off hand comment about the dangers of pushing voltages 1.4-1.5+. If you can keep the heat stable and below 70, preferably 60, how much stress are you putting your processor through?