Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Question Why did you overclock your E8400?

Greeting guys first let me say that i am not against overclocking so please dont flame me but lately checking around in this forum lately and it seems that no one here use the stock speed of the E8400 that is 3.0ghz and i must it confuse me a little bit because:

1:My girlfriend has this processor in his computer and works very well whit the basic speed it has in games like Company of Heros or World in Conflict.
But if you said that I SHOULD really overclock it then its goes to my second point:

2:The current spec of my girlfriend computer are this one:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Intel Core Duo E8400 3.0G
Artic-Coolling Freezer 7 Pro
Evga 9800 GTX 512mo DDR3
Ocz 2x2048 Megs 1066 Reaper
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
2xWestern Digital 500G Sata 16mo
Antec Power Supply True Power 850 watts
CoolerMaster 690
Window Vista Ultimate 64 bits

Know you the the spec of this computer do you really think that the basic speed of processor sucks bad or i can wait a little bit before overcloking?

Thanks for your reading guys.

Mazabe

P.S.:sorry for the wall of texts guys.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Question Why did you overclock your E8400?

Greeting guys first let me say that i am not against overclocking so please dont flame me but lately checking around in this forum lately and it seems that no one here use the stock speed of the E8400 that is 3.0ghz and i must it confuse me a little bit because:

1:My girlfriend has this processor in his computer and works very well whit the basic speed it has in games like Company of Heros or World in Conflict.
But if you said that I SHOULD really overclock it then its goes to my second point:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Evga 9800 GTX 512mo DDR3
CoolerMaster 690

Know you the the spec of this computer do you really think that the basic speed of processor sucks bad or i can wait a little bit before overcloking?

Mazabe

Old August 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You overclock to go faster. It's that simple. Free performance gains. Yes, 3ghz is fast and runs everything well, but 4ghz is faster and runs everything better.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
Rookie

You see Squeetard i would like to overclock this processor (if some one had guide how to overclock this processor for the first time.) but the thing is if my girl can handle the upcoming games (like Far Cry 2) well whit the basic speed of the processor then if she good for a while or i really NEED to overclock this thing.

Just a thought no offence.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Overclocking is a hobby, we do it for fun. It is about squeezing all the performance possible from the hardware you have. If you are happy with stock speeds great, 3Ghz definitely doesnt suck but 4Ghz is always better. ;)

Overclocking rule of thumb is this: If you cant afford to lose any of the hardware you are overclocking, then dont do it!
Old August 22, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Overclocking rule of thumb is this: If you cant afford to lose any of the hardware you are overclocking, then dont do it!
without warranty then dont do it... ;p

and mod/admin should merge this thread... http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...our-e8400.html
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Well you see Eldonko you right i cant afford to broke it because the pieces are still in warranty but the thing is i was worried because its seems that no one use the basic speed so it made me wonder if everyone overclock it theirs to make them more future-proof in upcoming games like Far Cry 2.

P.S. Ahh Crap sorry for the double treads my bad!
Old August 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Like Eldonko said we do it for fun, and how far you can push the hardware.
For you if your happy with how it is, then I would not OC it.
The system you have can run all the games at good FPS.
Most of us here OC and if we damage our hardware well we replace it.
Some companies will not warranty your damaged hardware if you have OCed it.
That been said if you can not afford to replace hardware then I would leave it at stock settings.
Old August 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazabe View Post

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Evga 9800 GTX 512mo DDR3
CoolerMaster 690

Mazabe

1) Fun
2) Curiosity
3) Self Knowledge
4) Knowledge for others
5) Pushing Limits
6) If you buy Intel and don't overclock sell it for AMD.

The fact is Intel chips have been put out the market to be overclocked and since MOST processors out there can get a 50% overclock quite easily (aside from quads) why wouldn't you?

I had my e8400 upto 4.2ghz from a stock speed of 3.0ghz.

Now mind you the performance difference you see from 3.0 to 4.2 isn't going to be THAT huge and for that reason people may not bother overclocking.

Myself personally I like to see what a CPU is capable and WILL push it just like I did with my e8600. I found that if I gave it like 1.5v I could hit 4.5ghz stable but temps would be over 70 degrees. Now that I've replaced my Tuniq with a Vendetta 2 I'll see what my load temps are again.
Old August 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

"1:My girlfriend has this processor in his computer and works very well whit the basic speed it has in games like Company of Heros or World in Conflict.
But if you said that I SHOULD really overclock it then its goes to my second point:"

Was I the only one that saw this?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.