Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Overclocking the Q6600 on an nForce 650i board

Hi folks. Like many, I want to start OC'ing my cpu. Thing is, I was checking out my core temps in TAT (can't remember what that stands for...), and it seems like I'm in the 68-60 range, and that seems to be with nothing open. When I play games like Unreal Tournament 3 I don't notice loud CPU fan noises or anything, but is my CPU in danger? Especially if I want to make it run faster than it already is? Or is my hypochondria kicking in and I don't have anything to worry about.

Aside from that, if anyone has a link to a guide for overclocking the Q6600 on the 650i boards (I think I understand how to do it, but a guide would be super), or even if someone wanted to summarize it in a reply to this, that would be great. Of course, if I have heat concerns, I probably won't OC at all, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks in advance!
RAM: 1x2GB
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400
+ 2x2GB Crucial DDR2-800 PC2-6400
= 6GB RAM (finally more than 2GB!)
GPU: XFX GeForce9800GTX+
HDDs: 500 Seagate, 640 GB WD Caviar Black
PSU: CoolerMaster 600W
Old August 20, 2008, 06:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

First, use Core temp for your Quad since it's a 65nm chip. For the latest chips (45nm), use Real Temp. Now, the hard part... I don't think that your Asus HSF can handle an oc'ed Quad... you sure can try. First, give use the ambiant temp and the idle temp reading of your Q6600 with Core temp. Then if it's acceptable then use OCCT to load your Quad, and keep a close eye on those temps. If they pass 65C under load stop the test.

Start with that.

OCCT: Download - OCCT Website english

edit: forgot to add that this test must be done at stock speeds.
Old August 20, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menello View Post
Hi folks. Like many, I want to start OC'ing my cpu. Thing is, I was checking out my core temps in TAT (can't remember what that stands for...), and it seems like I'm in the 68-60 range, and that seems to be with nothing open. When I play games like Unreal Tournament 3 I don't notice loud CPU fan noises or anything, but is my CPU in danger? Especially if I want to make it run faster than it already is? Or is my hypochondria kicking in and I don't have anything to worry about.

Aside from that, if anyone has a link to a guide for overclocking the Q6600 on the 650i boards (I think I understand how to do it, but a guide would be super), or even if someone wanted to summarize it in a reply to this, that would be great. Of course, if I have heat concerns, I probably won't OC at all, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks in advance!

If those temps are accurate at idle, then you really really really need a new HSF, because that one is not doing the trick at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the guys here do reviews, they want to keep the temps under 60 on-load, because then it will indicate a possible stable, and safer-long term overclock.

Xigmatek 's HDT-1283, TRUE, or OCZ Vendetta 2 are the best, IMO out there now and one of those should do the trick.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old August 20, 2008, 11:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yeah, I'm at home again and it's idling in the 45-49 C range. PHEW.

I think the problem was that the night I first put it in it was INCREDIBLY hot in my apartment, which probably didn't help matters. Today it is quite nice in here (not quite so hot outside today), and the temps are in the 40s. So that's good. I was ready to get pissed, so I'm glad that's ok :S

I haven't tried OC'ing it yet... I think I may just let 'er buck as is. Honestly; I'm somewhat nervous about it. So perhaps another day I'll get up some courage again and give 'er another go. I'll make sure to reference this topic. Thanks for the advice, all.
RAM: 1x2GB
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400
+ 2x2GB Crucial DDR2-800 PC2-6400
= 6GB RAM (finally more than 2GB!)
GPU: XFX GeForce9800GTX+
HDDs: 500 Seagate, 640 GB WD Caviar Black
PSU: CoolerMaster 600W