Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   e8600 Overclocking Results (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/9473-e8600-overclocking-results.html)

enaberif August 19, 2008 05:57 PM

e8600 Overclocking Results
 
No pics as of yet as I'm trying to find where this will become stable.

As most know or if you didn't I could get my e8400 stable @ 4.2 with no effort.

So I figured I'd try out the e8600 and see what type of results I'd have with this guy.

I'll post pics up when I finalize the best overclock that I can find.

As it is right now:

4.6 = BSOD with Machine Exception Error
4.5 = Failure
4.4 = Stable

* Temps are in excess of 60 degrees celsius.

4.5ish stable..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...bond/e8600.jpg

enaberif August 19, 2008 08:12 PM

pic added.

yycraven August 19, 2008 08:38 PM

Are you using the same set up as you have for your E8400, or is it different.
Nice OCing on the E8600

enaberif August 19, 2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yycraven (Post 80917)
Are you using the same set up as you have for your E8400, or is it different.
Nice OCing on the E8600

Completely different!

My 8400 clock wouldn't work on this chip.

To get these speeds I have to dump a CRAP load of voltage into it hahaha.

MpG August 19, 2008 08:56 PM

Damn, these 45nm chips just get bitchy past 4GHz, don't they? What kind of cooling were you using?

enaberif August 19, 2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 80925)
Damn, these 45nm chips just get bitchy past 4GHz, don't they? What kind of cooling were you using?

Were? Am.

True 120 Extreme with 2 120x38mm fans open air :P

Sitting at about 72 celsius right now hahaha.

But yes once you get them over 4.2-4.3 they start to really hate you.

my 8400 could do 4.3 but preferred 4.2.
this 8600 can do 4.5 but prefers 4.4

And if you think about it..

8400 = 3.0ghz = 4.2 overclock
8600 = 3.3ghz = 4.5 overclock

Got the same overclock out of them just one needed a crap load more volts and runs hotter :dots:

So my original thought still sticks.. right now for the best bang for buck the 8400 is the best dual core out there.

But I'm also wondering if my Abit board is limiting this processor.

Dashock August 19, 2008 09:05 PM

What is the max volts 24/7 that these 45nm chips can handle im gonna be using the E3110 Stock voltage of is 1.225 and well from reading around the web they say only go max .20 above that. And btw do you really notice much of an impact between 4.0ghz and 4.5ghz ? I want to keep my max temps at below 50 otherwise my room would definetely get toasty.

enaberif August 19, 2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashock (Post 80933)
What is the max volts 24/7 that these 45nm chips can handle im gonna be using the E3110 Stock voltage of is 1.225 and well from reading around the web they say only go max .20 above that. And btw do you really notice much of an impact between 4.0ghz and 4.5ghz ?

In day to day stuff you aren't going even notice a difference between 3.0 to 4.5 :P

I'm just one of those people who likes to push to see how far I can go before I decide to stop or see smoke or hear a loud bang.

For the 45nm chips 1.4v is perfect for 24/7 day to day functions.

I'm leaving this 8600 at 1.5v because I know by the time its ready to die there will be another chip out for me :P

Water cooling will keep temps MUCH cooler than air cooling for most processor. The ambient temps in my office right now is insane.

Dashock August 19, 2008 09:10 PM

Yea im surprised you haven't dipped into the water it would reduce your temps and possibly give you more mhz right?

enaberif August 19, 2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashock (Post 80936)
Yea im surprised you haven't dipped into the water it would reduce your temps and possibly give you more mhz right?

I "had" all the equipment for water.. I just didn't do it and sold it off :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.