Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2007, 01:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Temperature Thresholds???

Hello I wanted to ask about some SAFE temperature thresholds.

I Know that these things vary from Chip to chip and what not, but I am looking for a good general idea.

I WILL be over-clocking my "new" computer (new MoBo, Vid Card and CPU) after the new PSU arrives and I iron out a couple things.

I have an NVIDIA 6200 Card, 256 Meg - 8X AGP. What is a safe threshold for the GPU? A friend of mine recommended "cool bits". I have it installed but have not yet over-clocked (waiting mainly for a PSU).

My NVIDIA Force Ware says That the GPU's "Core Slow Down Threshold" is set at 145 Degree's Celsius. IT DOES NOT appear to be adjustable. Does anyone know how I can adjust this? And what is a realistic SAFE HEAT level?

I have a Pentium D 915 CPU. 4 megs cache and an upgraded Heat Sink and Fan. Arctic Silver 5. I want to know what is a SAFE MAX Heat level?

Also What is a Safe Main-board Temperature? I will likely be upgrading hte cooling for the North Bridge (which has a heatsink) and South Bridge Chipsets.

I have HDD Coolers on both of my HDD's. What is a Safe Temp for them?

Thanks in advance. This place is a HUGE Help :)
Old April 18, 2007, 04:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll look around for the pentium D, but you really don't need to worry about you HDs - especially if you have a cooler for them. (unless you're working in and oven).

If you're buying aftermarket NB and SB cooling for your mobo, you won't have to worry about it either (my 680i is rated for 100 degrees C)

For the GPU, I'd say don't let it go over 80.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the Info :)

It is much appreciated
Old April 18, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The peniutm d's run very hot- it's not easy to keep the temps down on them. The MAX max is 70, but you should definately keep it under 63C under load- and should aim for under 60- that's my take on it.

EDIT: Reading a little more, I've found some opinions that say it's ok to go up to 70C- so I dunno- judgement call?

Last edited by Babrbarossa; April 18, 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:48 AM
Misoprostol

I'd say if you can keep a Pentium D under 60 when overclocking you'd need water cooling, so 70 is probably ok with air, and I'd probably be ok even with 75 on those chips. I'm pretty sure they don't throttle until they get even higher than that.
Old April 19, 2007, 01:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

EDIT - I seem to have an issue with the trail version of "HMonitor" It seems to be showing the TEMPERATURE @ HALF of its true level. Something with my Pentium D?

Can I fix this?

IS there another program I could try?

Thanks again for the help guys

Last edited by mattydies; April 19, 2007 at 09:21 AM.