Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
I had an S939 X2 3800 at 3.0ghz with a Thermalright Ultra-120 .. I think voltage was 1.6v .. I can't remember.. but temps were good.

This however was with a DFI Nforce4 Ultra-D which was the king of mobos back in the day.
I STILL am running an Ultra-D as my primary rig.

Got my 3800+ at 2.8 GHz at 1.325V.
Old August 15, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How are you all measuring your voltages though? BIOS is NOT the correct method because there will be vdroop and over-volting and what not. I know lots of people use CPU-Z, and CPU-Z reports the voltages and everything correctly.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Is "Cool 'n' Quiet" disabled in the bios?
Disregard this one........ the cake isn't real! It was a lie! lol

Apparantly CnQ doesn't affect OC'ing.
Old August 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
How are you all measuring your voltages though? BIOS is NOT the correct method because there will be vdroop and over-volting and what not. I know lots of people use CPU-Z, and CPU-Z reports the voltages and everything correctly.
CPU-Z does not report the voltage correctly. I've currently got the voltage set to 1.375 in the BIOS, CPU-Z reads 1.360. Using a multimeter, voltage reads pretty much spot on to 1.375.

Vdroop is much misunderstood.

See here for a proper explanation: Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums
Old August 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Disregard this one........ the cake isn't real! It was a lie! lol

Apparantly CnQ doesn't affect OC'ing.

I was running CnQ for a while, but noticed I had cold boot issues - especially when I turned off my power bar. One day I corrupted my OS. Overclock is 24hr prime stable otherwise. Also noticed a hiccup every once in a while, I don't think my rig was 100% stable idleing at 2.3ghz (or whatever it idled down to) and 1.1-1.2v.

CnQ would bring my CPU temps down 4 degrees at idle, as well as saving me about 30 watts. Nothing spectacular.

My Ultra-D has been in heavy service for 2 years already. Overclocked all the time, and the comp is probably on 8-12 hours a day. Great board for me. Hope it goes another year/18 months, as thats when I plan to upgrade. Even then it will probably live on as a HTPC/server @ stock clocks.

To OP:

I thought the default voltage of these chips was around 1.35v. I would advise to keep load temps below 60C. I also don't like putting more than a 10% boost in voltage, but that's a personal opinion. Has worked well for me though.

I have found in my A64 OC experiences that the chips just hit a wall at a certain spot. My 3000+ s754 newcastle, 3200+ 939 winchester, and now my x2 toledo all exibited this behavior. A minimal boost in voltage is usually all that is needed to reach this "wall" so to speak.

Stock voltage gets me 2.4ghz. 1.44v gets me 2.94ghz, but to reach 3.07ghz I need over 1.5 volts, which is more than I am willing to pump through my chip 24/7.

Last edited by Fracture; August 15, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old August 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL! Since I was building my Intel rig, I decided to take apart my AMD rig, clean it of dust, etc. Took off the heatsink. HOLY! There was barely any AS5 on it. So I cleaned it, and while waiting for the alcohol to dry, I cleaned the case of the dust as best as possible with my vacuum and mouth (blowing air). Reapplied AS5, then put on the heatsink. Checked the temps just now, and it's maxing out at 42C with 95% F@H load. So 100% CPU usage should cause the temps to top out at around 45C max. Now I should try and give it more voltage. Final overclocking adventure before I give it to my sister....