Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2017, 01:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default NZXT x41 fan died - Venturi or else?

Hi all,

To make it short, my NZXT fan that came with my x41 died on me. It's still running but I have to crank up the speed more and more to avoid a very loud noise.

I was running a dual fan setup rear exhaust setup. The second fan I added is pulling IN the radior and is a leftover Fractal Design GP-14.

Currently, I remove the faulty NZXT one and the GP-14 is pulling OUT from the radiator. I realized my temps were up and the reason came very quickly when I searched the specs, the NZXT one (FX142, is PWM) has a considerably higher air flow.

So I went looking for a replacement, at first I thought adding a second GP-14 would do the trick, plus they are very silent! Now I'm looking at other FD fans and the Venturi HF-14 (non-PWM) has a better airflow at a probably lower dbA.

So long story short, what would you do?
A) Dual GP-14
B) GP-14 + HF-14
C) Dual HF-14
D) Wait for NZXT's slow customer service to replace the fan (maybe, takes days to get answers)
E) Anything else (looks is a plus for me, currently on a black/white setup)

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work

Last edited by Mayoo; August 23, 2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old August 14, 2017, 11:16 PM
Allstar

I would put up with the noise for a bit and give NZXT a chance to replace your fan. In any case, I don't think push/pull is all that great for rads, except for adding noise. Push/pull may add some efficacy (and noise) to open fin CPU coolers, but in the case of a rad where you can (kinda) seal the fan to the rad, I don't think so. Push allows the fan to work in the cleanest inflow air and therefore will make less noise. If you ever do push/pull (like on a CPU air cooler) the fans need to be pretty well matched or one will be trying to windmill the other, thus reducing flow.

We do have a Water Cooling forum and you may have received a quicker response there, not that I mind offering my two cents.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old August 15, 2017, 04:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I owe a X31 and i find the specs of the fan a bit on the low side. Corsair SP series is much better.
Old August 16, 2017, 12:22 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I owe a X31 and i find the specs of the fan a bit on the low side. Corsair SP series is much better.

Yeah, but they were happy with it before the noise so why not give the warranty process a chance? If NZXT doesn't come through, they can always find something else as good or better.

Hopefully we'll get a report.
Old August 23, 2017, 08:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Update

NZXT shipped me a pair of fans (yes a pair!) to replace the faulty one, under warranty. Speedy shipping too, NZXT score some points there.

They shipped me 2 Aer P140. Slighly different (let's forget the all black look ... anyway I can buy white Trims for 5.99USD for a pair EDIT: They also charge 34.30USD for shipping ...). I'll try installing both of them and see with the noise and temps. If it's too loud, I'll reinstall my extra GP-14 for the intake.

Here are the specs compared (both are 4-pin PWM). I say pretty similar, what do you all think?

P140 Speed: 500~1,800 +/- 300 RPM
FX140 V2 Speed: 800~2000 R.P.M.

P140 Airflow: 27.27~98.17 CFM
FX140 V2 Airflow: 42.4-106.1 CFM

P140 Air Pressure: 0.21~2.71mm-H2O
FX140 V2 Air Pressure: 0.36-1.97 mm-H2O

P140 Noise Level: 21~38dBA
FX140 V2 Noise Level: 20-37 dBA

P140 Voltage: 12V DC, 0.35A, 4.2W
FX140 V2 Voltage: 12V DC, 0.6A, 7.2W

Last edited by Mayoo; August 23, 2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:35 AM
Allstar

Well good on NZXT.....Thanks for reporting.

I would use one for push and one for intake, but experiment and tell us how it goes.
Old August 28, 2017, 05:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I finally got time to install them. So far I am impressed. All tests were made with an open case, idling in Windows and messing up with fan speeds.

With a single GP-14 as output, I was getting 30C~31C @ 100% speed.
With a single Aer P140 as output, I was getting 28C @ 100% speed. I was able to maintain 29C @ 25% speed.
With dual Aer P140 as input/output, I got to 26C @ 100% speed. Currently maintaining 28C @ 25% speed.

So I didn't even tried to install the GP-14 as the input fan. Yes they are louder, but anything under 50% speed is barely noticeable and I get nice temps. At 100%, it does get ridiculously similar to a small airplane but if I even get to 100% outside of testing, well let's just say something else melted.

So there you have it. Single to single, I got -2C~3C. Single to double, I got a very nice -5C~6C difference!

Now I'll order those white trims if I can find a place that sells them cheaper than NZXT directly (ebay, newegg and ncix thus far)

Old August 28, 2017, 07:52 PM
Allstar

Thank you for taking the time to do the testing and report.

I guess with push/pull on a rad the fans may be helping each other out, if they are closely matched. They will definitely make more noise though.

Sort of like a Cessna 337 on take off.