Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2017, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

Default Pro Tip - Don't use Afterburner's "Apply overclocking at system startup" setting

It turns out, if your overclock isn't 100% stable.... it'll stop Windows 10 from booting. I couldn't get into Safe Mode, even with a recovery disk or a installation disk. My only option was to pull the video card, which was a pain in the ass because I had a custom loop. Once I pulled it, I booted, no issues, and uninstalled Afterburner, and went back to stock clocks.

So don't do what I did! Overall, I burned a whole evening sorting this crap out.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You couldn't just grab your main drive and delete the app?
Old June 18, 2017, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I didn't have another system to plug in a drive to. I did manage to get to a command prompt with the W10 installation disk, so I suppose I could have deleted AB that way, but I didn't think of that....
Old June 18, 2017, 10:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovius View Post
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I didn't have another system to plug in a drive to. I did manage to get to a command prompt with the W10 installation disk, so I suppose I could have deleted AB that way, but I didn't think of that....
should make a usb bootable os stick for situations like this. Just boot off of the stick then delete whatever is causing an issue.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

Good idea! I ordered in a bunch of sticks the other day, I think I'll turn one into something like that. It wouldn't have taken nearly so long if pulling the card wasn't such a pain in the ass. One of the GPU tube runs was so short I couldn't really move it much. At least this gave me a chance to redo that one.

Any recommendations for a bootable OS stick?
Old June 18, 2017, 10:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I suspect part of the problem was the inability to force windows 10 into safe mode.

I ran into a similar issue last week when I attempted to load W10 onto a gen1 i5 laptop with GMA (vice intel HD) graphics. Microsoft has apparently removed the F-Key mash option with the thinking that faster boot times negate any chance at catching it before windows starts loading.

The work-around is to do 3 hard shutdowns while windows is booting which will force windows into the "OMG.... you've broken windows how do you want to repair it" mode and allow you to boot into safe mode. (Unless you're suggesting that afterburner applies the settings under safe mode as well...... ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old June 18, 2017, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

So I tried that, and Windows threw me a WHEA-UNCORRECTABLE ERROR message, with a QR code and a generic "We are collecting info about your error and are restarting for you". The auto-repair feature didn't work either, ending with the error.
Old June 18, 2017, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

what OS 32 or 64 bit ?

SS is right unless your booting on the wrong OS (drive)
Old June 18, 2017, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

another thing to do in the future

is do a system restore point BEFORE you install any software, so if it goes south you got a chance to go back provided your restore (back-up) is working prior
Old June 18, 2017, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect

64 bit W10 Home.

I don't exactly know what happened, but the last thing I did to my PC before going to bed was AB overclock and firing up the miner.

Without a recovery/installation thumb drive, it kept looping through the WHEA error screen and restarting, eventually just stopping at a blank black screen.

With a installation media, I could get to the repair options, but all I could get was a command prompt. None of the other options appeared to work.

Edit: I tried the system restore feature, but it needed me to reboot to select a restore point, which put me right back to the error screen instead.