Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2017, 08:31 PM
Top Prospect

You are not exceeding any of Intel's limits and believe me, they know exactly what they're doing when they set those specs. Prime 95 is a great stability tester because it does load your system more than most other programs ever will. Here is a link to an article by one of the top Pro OC'ers on using Prime 95 for stability testing Guide: Stability testing with Prime 95 - Overclocking.Guide

You are using better than adequate cooling so you don't need to worry about it, unless you want to. Of particular note in the article I linked is whether you are using a version of Prime 95 that supports AVX or not.
Old March 10, 2017, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for that Valkyrie! I'll give that a look.

I did try setting the voltage back just a bit to see if it made difference. Told the ASUS app to use a target of 1.28 and it ended up selecting 4.6ish GHz. Voltage fluctuates between the 1.28 and 1.324 according to CPU-Z. Temp went as high as 74 according to Core temp playing Black Desert but that must have been short lived because I could never see it happen. I'll run Prime95 or RealBench on this too just to see the lower voltage makes a different in the temp. In terms of gameplay in Black Desert anyway, no visible difference running 4.6 vs 4.8 GHz.

One thing I wondered about the ASUS app options, it lets you pick "Ratio Only" or "BCLK First". Any reason to check one of those over the other? Googled it a little but didn't find a good answer on a quick look.
Old March 11, 2017, 06:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
Load-line Calibration... right. More research to do! :)
It's basically just a setting to compensate for Vdroop. Your motherboard will dynamically feed your CPU with more voltage when under load. Check this link from the MSI website, it explains it in more details: https://www.msi.com/blog/why-llc-is-...n-overclocking

Although you are running Haswell, and if I remember correctly for that generation, Intel put the voltage regulator on the CPU itself so I'm not sure if Load Line Calibration is as important as it can be on other CPUs. I personally never owned an Haswell CPU so I don't have any experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
One thing I wondered about the ASUS app options, it lets you pick "Ratio Only" or "BCLK First". Any reason to check one of those over the other? Googled it a little but didn't find a good answer on a quick look.
Ratio is simply your CPU ratio. In the UEFI it's the Base Clock multiplier X the CPU Ratio that gives you your CPU clock. For example, if you choose a ratio of "46" it will give you a CPU clock speed of 4600MHZ.

BCLK is the Base Clock of your system and is by default running at 100MHZ but will fluctuate a tiny bit, that's why you see your CPU clock constantly being adjusted in CPU-Z. The base clock is basically the clock that controls your whole system and from which other multipliers in the system are based upon. So in the example above, if your base clock is running at it's default speed of 100MHZ and you choose a CPU ratio of "46" you CPU clock speed would be 4600MHZ (100MHZ X 46), 4800MHZ (100MHZ X 48) and so on.

Now, let's say you would choose to overclock with the base clock (BCLK) as well, then you would simply increase the clock speed of the system clock, which in turn wound increase the speed of everything else in the system. So let's say you bump the BCLK setting to 105MHZ, then for the same given CPU Ratio multiplier your CPU overclock would be higher (105MHZ X 46) and would give you a CPU clock of 4830MHZ instead of 4600MHZ for the same CPU ratio.

The biggest issue with overclocking the CPU with the base clock is that it can introduce all kind of issues in the system because when you increase your base clock you basically "overclock" everything else in the system so the point of "instability" can be from elsewhere in the system, not just the CPU. That being said though, increasing the base clock can help in increasing your CPU clock further, it may require a bit more tweaking but definitely allows you to get the maximum performance you can get out of your system.

I personally don't really bother with BCLK anymore, I'm lazy and going at it by bumping the ratio is good enough in most cases.
Old March 11, 2017, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow Groove that is a fantastic answer! Thanks for the taking the time to explain that so clearly. As I was reading your answer some of that info came back to me from when I was trying to OC my i7 920 a long while back. I guess I was just a bit mesmerised by the wording in ASUS app. Seriously, thanks for that. Really great explanation.

I suppose if I'm experimenting it might be worth trying the BCLK First option to see what it does. Wonder since it uses the term "First" would it do an iterative approach and boost the BCLK, then try various ratios, rinse and repeat. It would be great if it would do that in an automated fashion instead of the going in and out of the BIOS on my own. Now I know how to limit the voltage too so I can experiment pretty safely at this point.

This is kind of fun :)