Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2016, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Default I need help.

Hi I recently bought a new pc for work related video editing and the occasional gaming session.

My PC specs are;

I7 6900K - cooled with a corsair h100i v2
GTX 1080 - founders edition
32GB DDR4 3000MHZ RAM.

I would like to overclock my graphics card and cpu but I am very new to this and I am scared I will find a way to **** it up. I tried overlocking my GPU with a gpu clock offset of +245 and a memory clock offset for 550mhz. When running a game later on my gpu turned into a leaf blower and I wasnt sure if it was meant to do that, is that bad or not? I do not know. I would also like to try and overlcok my cpu but I do not know how far to push it or what variables I should use, I watched a few videos but i'm still unsure and I do not want to push it as far as some of them yet. If someone could please help me that would be great, maybe spend a little bit of time over skype for some of it.
Old August 15, 2016, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You are aware that overclocking and work are mutually exclusive, right? As overclocking is the no1 enemy of the stability a working rig is supposed to have. Now with that in mind, the higher clocks you apply the hotter the card will get hence the leaf blower, which is absolutely normal. For the cpu you will have to see the reviews and taking it slow. Up the clocks in 50-100 MHz steps and test the stability for a few hours. When it starts to be unstable go back till you get absolute stability. Unless you want to run the occasional benchmark for some bragging rights.
Old August 15, 2016, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For your situation, I would recommend leaving your voltages on auto and taking your core clocks up slowly using the multiplier like MARSTG suggested. Each time you bump it up, let a good stress testing program like Prime95 run overnight to make sure the overclock is stable enough for your work applications. Once you get to the point where Prime95 throws errors, freezes or otherwise fails, take two steps back and call it a day. So if you freeze with a multiplier of 44 (for example), set your overclock to 42 and leave it there. This is a slower and more rigorous procedure than is normally required - but since you use the machine for work, the last thing you want to have happen is a BSOD when your render is at 97%.

Also make sure you figure out your CPU and GPU overclocks separately. If you do them at the same time and your machine freezes, then you won't know what the culprit is.

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc
Old August 15, 2016, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I havent forgotten about u dead things. I'm off all week house ridden. Probably start this tomorrow.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 16, 2016, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's nothing worse than rendering video for a day, then looking at it at the end of day and it's completely messed up because you overclocked your PC and the memory was skipping writing to the hard drive.
If it's for work, an extremely mild overclock would be ok but don't try to break any land speed records. Seriously, just use the easy bios overclock and let it be. If the performance gain isn't enough to make it worthwhile, run it near stock.
I've seen people ruin projects (even rip them and take them to present) on systems overclocked.. saving yourself 2 minutes on a 60 minute render isn't going to do anything if you have to render the entire thing over again. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 16, 2016, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
There's nothing worse than rendering video for a day, then looking at it at the end of day and it's completely messed up because you overclocked your PC and the memory was skipping writing to the hard drive.
If it's for work, an extremely mild overclock would be ok but don't try to break any land speed records. Seriously, just use the easy bios overclock and let it be. If the performance gain isn't enough to make it worthwhile, run it near stock.
I've seen people ruin projects (even rip them and take them to present) on systems overclocked.. saving yourself 2 minutes on a 60 minute render isn't going to do anything if you have to render the entire thing over again. :)

I've heard it's better to render 2 minutes at a time and then stitch them together rather than try to render 30+ minute videos. Just for reasons like you mention and I render at stock speeds too.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewbarnaby View Post
Hi I recently bought a new pc for work related video editing and the occasional gaming session.

My PC specs are;

I7 6900K - cooled with a corsair h100i v2
GTX 1080 - founders edition
32GB DDR4 3000MHZ RAM.

I would like to overclock my graphics card and cpu but I am very new to this and I am scared I will find a way to **** it up. I tried overlocking my GPU with a gpu clock offset of +245 and a memory clock offset for 550mhz. When running a game later on my gpu turned into a leaf blower and I wasnt sure if it was meant to do that, is that bad or not? I do not know. I would also like to try and overlcok my cpu but I do not know how far to push it or what variables I should use, I watched a few videos but i'm still unsure and I do not want to push it as far as some of them yet. If someone could please help me that would be great, maybe spend a little bit of time over skype for some of it.
First we should address the GPU, reference coolers typically work decent but are extremely loud.
You cannot overcome this unless you change the cooler.

Easy Ish Option for GPU

Purchase a Corsair H75 Cooler with a Kraken G10, Get some cheap ram sinks, Maybe try Enzotechs sinks for gpu modules. Guides are available.
This would get your card ready for overclocking at much lower noise levels. plus it will be much cooler which will increase stability.

Or

Except the leaf blower and get evga precision and up the core clock in increments of 13mhz over boost speed, run bench to prove stability, once its unstable reduce and set or try voltage increase.

CPU

Enter bios

Turn off all intel CPU features
Some will default to auto without the option to disable, thats fine.

increase multiplier 100 mhz above turbo freq.
set core voltage to 1.2v
enable load line calibration to high (helps with v droop)

boot to windows and run prime 95 for 1-2 hours, (stable or no)

If no increase voltage with the + sign in bios,by one increment, try again.

If yes increase multiplier to achieve another 100mhz. rinse repeat.