Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2016, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Overclocking EVGA 980 Classified

I haven't had a lot of success overclocking GPUs in the past but I didn't have a Classified then either! I was thinking I'd like to bump it up a bit since the Classifieds seem to be designed with overclocking in mind. I did find some information already but I know some of you on here have had success overclocking your GPUs so thought I would ask here too. Not sure I want to mess with voltage, I don't want to cook the card, I need it for a good while yet I think, but if that is part of the recommended overclocking solution for a Classified I would consider.

Is the best approach for an EVGA card just to use PrecisionX and increase the Power Target, or should I go directly to the GPU and Mem clock offsets?

Also anyone have overclock numbers for their own EVGA 980 Classified they would like share?

Not sure how much it matters but the ASIC quality for my 980 based on checking from TechPowerUp GPU-Z is 67.4%. Actually not as high as I expected for a Classified however is is better than 11% of similar chips in their database.
Old June 3, 2016, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect

In precision X set power slider to full. Then add some core speed and test. When it becomes unstable add a bit of voltage and see if that corrects it. Once you have found your max reset the core speed and do the same for the memory leaving the voltage and power slider where they were. Once done with the memory bring the two together. You'll likely have to drop the core speed a bit from your previous number. I use unigine heaven to test my OC watch your temps and speed with GPUz monitoring tab left open. If you see the CPU core speed dropping it could mean you are throttling and need to bak down a bit. It's not likely you'll damage the card in any way. There are many safeguards built into modern GPUs. So unless you modify the BIOS in some way your card should be fine.

Do your final testing in-game and monitor with GPUz once again.
Old June 3, 2016, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Awesome info Johan45, thanks for that! My memory on PrecisionX is a little rusty on this too: if I find an overclock does PrecisionX have to be running to keep the overclock settings? So it would have to load a saved profile on Windows start up? Or is there a way to put the profile into the GPU so it "sticks"? Thanks again.
Old June 3, 2016, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

You need to start PreX with windows. There's a button on the GUI for that. Right click on a number to save the profile in that slot
Old June 3, 2016, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan45 View Post
You need to start PreX with windows. There's a button on the GUI for that. Right click on a number to save the profile in that slot
Got it. Thanks again.
Old June 13, 2016, 06:33 AM
Rookie

Hi all,

I'm currently Overclocking my EVGA 970 (stock). I'm just looking for a mild overclock. I've managed to get what im looking for without touching the voltage at all (under load, it holds at 1.2), with +215gpu mhz and +100mhz memory, this from the stock speeds of 1050mhz clock. Bottom line i got 1480mhz with the boost on. Everything is stable in the valley unigine with a temp of 72'c at 30% fan speed. However, there are 3 indicators in Precision X that i dont understand and the web only provides conflicting results. OV Max limit, Voltage limit and another i forget the name. They are 0/1 indicators. During a play session, each one spikes to about once every 2-3 minutes for a second and drops back to zero.

Does this mean i should increase the voltage to keep those clocks?
Or is this a hard indicator that clock speeds are too high?

Half the web says im cooking my card, the other says there is no issue...

Thanks for your time,

K

Last edited by Kerbonomics; June 13, 2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old June 13, 2016, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're beyond my knowledge there, just a beginner myself with GPU OC and haven't done much yet, but perhaps the more knowledgeable folks will provide some input.
Old June 14, 2016, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbonomics View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently Overclocking my EVGA 970 (stock). I'm just looking for a mild overclock. I've managed to get what im looking for without touching the voltage at all (under load, it holds at 1.2), with +215gpu mhz and +100mhz memory, this from the stock speeds of 1050mhz clock. Bottom line i got 1480mhz with the boost on. Everything is stable in the valley unigine with a temp of 72'c at 30% fan speed. However, there are 3 indicators in Precision X that i dont understand and the web only provides conflicting results. OV Max limit, Voltage limit and another i forget the name. They are 0/1 indicators. During a play session, each one spikes to about once every 2-3 minutes for a second and drops back to zero.

Does this mean i should increase the voltage to keep those clocks?
Or is this a hard indicator that clock speeds are too high?

Half the web says im cooking my card, the other says there is no issue...

Thanks for your time,

K

You aren't cooking your card, all that means is that you are hitting your max voltage "available" if you raise the voltage just a bit it will likely stop. Make sure your power slider is maxed out and up the temp limit. This should prevent throttling. It's pretty tough to "cook" one of these cards with a stock BIOS.
Old June 14, 2016, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Thanks allot for your response. Thats what i figrued. I took your tip and the GPU-Z tool dosnt call it "Over Voltage MAX LIMIT", it simply says that the clock speed is currently limited by the available voltage which is much more informative and less panic inducing.

Have a good one