Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Help Me Push My X2 3800+ (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/709-help-me-push-my-x2-3800-a.html)

SKYMTL March 25, 2007 06:52 PM

Help Me Push My X2 3800+

So I need all you guys' help.

I want to push my X2 3800+ past what I have it now but I want to know where the thresholds are.

Right now I have everything running at the following:

Corsair XMS 4000-PT running at: 520Mhz DDR (260Mhz X2) on 2.64V

CPU / FSB at 1:1 meaning....

AMD X2 3800+ running at: 2.6Ghz on 1.425V using a AC Freezer 64Pro

CPU Idle temp: 25*
CPU Load Temp: 33*

What is the max voltage I can push through the processor or am I already pushing it with 1.425V?

I have safely booted and benched the system at 2.7Ghz (1:1 with 540Mhz on the memory) but I want to get it past that.

My mobo is a DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert with the latest BIOS.

Let's make this a community exercise of helping me get my processor past 2.7Ghz. I'll post pictures of achievements and regular updates. :thumb:

cdn_Madrach March 25, 2007 09:02 PM

Hey SKYMTL. I'm just a noob at OC'n right now so I will be watching this thread closely:biggrin: . I was curious though if you have found the max oc on your mem? I have the same mem and am running same speed with stock timings. Good luck with your oc:thumb:

BALISTX March 25, 2007 09:33 PM

I'm also a n00b to OCing so I also will be paying close attention to this.

Patriote March 26, 2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 4623)
So I need all you guys' help.

I want to push my X2 3800+ past what I have it now but I want to know where the thresholds are.

Right now I have everything running at the following:

Corsair XMS 4000-PT running at: 520Mhz DDR (260Mhz X2) on 2.64V

CPU / FSB at 1:1 meaning....

AMD X2 3800+ running at: 2.6Ghz on 1.425V using a AC Freezer 64Pro

CPU Idle temp: 25*
CPU Load Temp: 33*

What is the max voltage I can push through the processor or am I already pushing it with 1.425V?

I have safely booted and benched the system at 2.7Ghz (1:1 with 540Mhz on the memory) but I want to get it past that.

My mobo is a DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert with the latest BIOS.

Let's make this a community exercise of helping me get my processor past 2.7Ghz. I'll post pictures of achievements and regular updates. :thumb:

Of first,

Nobody can tell you where are your thresholds for your particular parts. As all CPUs, Mobo and Ram all have different thresholds and therefor you might not be able to Oc as high as what you seen on other forum or you might be. It also depend on how patient you are...

Ok now you say your running at 2.6Ghz ? Is it stable ? What stressing program did you run to make sure it was stable ?

Ok so, when overclocking your CPU you want to drop the ram using a memory divider and that way... Overclocking only the CPU. So that way if while you were stressing your CPU and it crash you'll know that it's the CPU and not the ram crashing due to overclocking.

Also, you could try to see how far you can post with the FSB. So, like use a memory divider for your ram, drop the CPU multi the lowest you can and raise the FSB all the way up by 10mhz shots. I assume that if your running at 2.6Ghz with a 260FSB your CPU mutli is 10x. So, drop it to 6x and see how far you can boot with the FSB. Sometime booting with high FSB will require more chipset voltage and CPU voltage. So it's up to you to find what are the right voltage settings you need for the FSB you want.

Knowing how far in FSB your motherboard\CPU can go would be useful to try some different FSB\CPU multi combination. Sometime you can get your CPU stable at 2.8Ghz using 9x311 = 2.799Ghz with (just for example) 1.5v and not getting it stable at 10x280 = 2.8Ghz also with 1.5v

Oh and BTW: 1.425V is perfectly fine if your temps allow it. I had my 4800+ running at 1.6v (set in bios) for a good time. Note that i was on watercooling.

Ok, so if i'd be you id first try to see how far i can do on FSB. Lower the CPU multi to 6, Use a memory divider so that your ram does not run at insane speed. Try to keep it around 400Mhz and finally raise the FSB by 10mhz shots and see how far you can go. Your CPU will be running pretty slowly so it's normal that it may takes some times to boot. (Make sure you can boot into windows) I never had a DFi Expert mobo so i can't tell you how far you could go. Even if i would have got 1 i wouldn't be able to tell you exactly as all boards are different.

Then when you think you reached the max or enough for your liking, we're gonna start Ocing the CPU.

Last question, have you tried your CPU at 2.6Ghz with less voltage ? Is it what it needed to reach 2.6Ghz ? or you just raised the voltage at 1.425V and raised the FSB at 260 ?

sswilson March 26, 2007 06:21 AM

What he said..... :) (Although, highest possible FSB doesn't necessarily mean all that much on a S939 proc, it just gives you an idea of what your max is).

Keep in mind that with S939 the mem divider is your friend, and that for real world performance cpu clock speed trumps mem clock speed every time.

Patriote March 26, 2007 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 4637)
What he said..... :) (Although, highest possible FSB doesn't necessarily mean all that much on a S939 proc, it just gives you an idea of what your max is).

Yeah it actually doesn't mean big thing on 775S too. Well, actually some ppls will tell you that it is... It's just good so that you know whats your max and because, like i said above, sometime using smaller CPU multi (with of course higher FSB) might get you more stable on certain config. For example, with my pour clocking X6800 it would not even be stable at 3.6Ghz (11x328) with 1.5v! And now it's stable with 1.4750v and 10x360

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 4637)
Keep in mind that with S939 the mem divider is your friend, and that for real world performance cpu clock speed trumps mem clock speed every time.

And that is true :biggrin:

I bought a E6600 that is sitting on my desk ATM. I bought it from a cool guy and the stepping and batch on that E6600 are proved to be some high overclockable chips! So, today im hooking it under my Apogee WB and ill try to see in the next days how far i can go with it. The guy that had it said that he ran it with 1.4v 9x400 = 3.6Ghz stable! Damn! 1.4v! Thats sweet but he also said that the chip run HOT!

Misoprostol March 28, 2007 03:41 PM

Water cooling might be the answer to your problem. I wasn't able to do much better than 2.6 on S939 until I went water. PM me and I might be able to work out a good deal for you on some equipment:ph34r:

SKYMTL March 28, 2007 04:51 PM

Better watch out....you will now get 50 PMs from people wanting deals on WC equipment.

Right now this little community project will have to be on hold as I don't have much time right now to do tweaking. I'll be posting back here in a few days' time.