Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2008, 10:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, yeah that's it... I was confusing VTT with the actual Northbridge volts which on both of my boards had little effect after a slight boost. My understanding is that the VTT voltage adjustment is on the processor rather than on the motherboard, so keep that in mind.

Are you going to play with the extended memory settings? That's a whole process in itself, but I've had improvements of up to 5% to super-pi scores. Takes a hell of a lot of time though.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 2, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ok, yeah that's it... I was confusing VTT with the actual Northbridge volts which on both of my boards had little effect after a slight boost. My understanding is that the VTT voltage adjustment is on the processor rather than on the motherboard, so keep that in mind.

Are you going to play with the extended memory settings? That's a whole process in itself, but I've had improvements of up to 5% to super-pi scores. Takes a hell of a lot of time though.... :)

I have not even touched those LOL. Not even really sure where to access them lol. For the most part I locked my memory in at 1:1.. set the timings to stock and left it for now.. I don't know the value of running my system at a 5:4 with maybe the memory at 500x2 for their stock 1k but it might be worth it.. I'd like to compare the differences between the faster mhz and asynchronous mode and the slower mhz, but with better timings and 1:1... I have no personal experience with it so hsould be interesting to figure it all out.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3.0ghz FSB 1.25v (+.5 from stock), Vcore 1.275v 2hours+ Stable in Prime95. No errors yet.

41-48c across all cores after those two hours too!

Going to drop it again, and test for 45 minutes until I get an error.

Still 1:1 with my memory at 1.8v/333x2 for 667mhz.

Eventually when I find a sweet spot for my vcore that I feel is good I'll push 24 and 48 hour iterations.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 3, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vcore 1.19v stable 5+hours in prime95.

I'm going to drop it to 1.16-ish volts over the next few hours and run for 10 or more hours tonight. We'll see what I get!

38-42c full load after those 5 hours! YOIKES! this Q6600 rocks!

If this keeps going lower I might go for 3.2+ ghz
Old June 3, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No dice!

It'll post and boot windows below 1.1875v but it fails almost instantly upon running prime95 and windows even reports recovering from a fatal error.

It may very well turn out to be sketchy at 1.1875v so I'm going to push 10 hours at this voltage, if it errors around here - which I'm expecting it will; I'm fairly certain I can hold steady at 1.193v.

Still not bad concidering how damn cool I'll be at 1.193v. if I can get it to hold for 24 hours at that eventually; I'm going to push 3.2ghz for the hell of it.. I think I could easily do that below 1.3v on this system for sure.

I guess eventually I'll compile all my steps (I've logged it all) into a little guide with info for everyone.

Last edited by encorp; June 3, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old June 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You're going the wrong way... oc'ing is up, with no limit! Seriously, 3.0G with such low voltage is great - shows a lot of potential for the chip. Once you're comfortable with your oc, save your BIOS settings and start upping that FSB.

I use OCCT (Download - OCCT Website english) to test my rigs; usually a 30 min. custom test shows stability. Then I raise the FSB again, with Vcore if needed.

To give you a rough idea, I managed 4.1Ghz with one of my Q6600s (Vcore was 1.6V), and that same Quad was stable for folding at 3.8GHz (Vcore 1.525V) - all under water, mind you. sswilson did the same, but with less Vcore.

With the Q6600, you're fine as long as it doesn't pass 60C under load and you don't give it more than 1.5V Vcore. I believe you'll reach the thermal limit before the voltage limit if you're using air.
Old June 3, 2008, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
No dice!

It'll post and boot windows below 1.875v but it fails almost instantly upon running prime95 and windows even reports recovering from a fatal error.

It may very well turn out to be sketchy at 1.875v so I'm going to push 10 hours at this voltage, if it errors around here - which I'm expecting it will; I'm fairly certain I can hold steady at 1.193v.

Still not bad concidering how damn cool I'll be at 1.193v. if I can get it to hold for 24 hours at that eventually; I'm going to push 3.2ghz for the hell of it.. I think I could easily do that below 1.3v on this system for sure.

I guess eventually I'll compile all my steps (I've logged it all) into a little guide with info for everyone.
I'm really hoping that's a typo..................

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 3, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm really hoping that's a typo..................
HAHAHA oh yess it is!!! fixed.
Old June 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You're going the wrong way... oc'ing is up, with no limit! Seriously, 3.0G with such low voltage is great - shows a lot of potential for the chip. Once you're comfortable with your oc, save your BIOS settings and start upping that FSB.

I use OCCT (Download - OCCT Website english) to test my rigs; usually a 30 min. custom test shows stability. Then I raise the FSB again, with Vcore if needed.

To give you a rough idea, I managed 4.1Ghz with one of my Q6600s (Vcore was 1.6V), and that same Quad was stable for folding at 3.8GHz (Vcore 1.525V) - all under water, mind you. sswilson did the same, but with less Vcore.

With the Q6600, you're fine as long as it doesn't pass 60C under load and you don't give it more than 1.5V Vcore. I believe you'll reach the thermal limit before the voltage limit if you're using air.
I went backwards because at first I couldn't even get it to run at 1.4v at 3.0ghz but once I upped my FSB voltage by .5 i was able to work wonders.. so I slowly went backwards just to see how low I could go - it was rather exciting ahaha.

I did have an error after 5 hours on 1.1875 tho, so I'm at 1.193* and i'll run more tests tomorrow,, I'm worried I'll need to be above 1.2 though, we'll see after a 24 hour run.

I'll try out OCCT and see what it's like! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by encorp; June 3, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I went backwards because at first I couldn't even get it to run at 1.4v at 3.0ghz but once I upped my FSB voltage by .5 i was able to work wonders.. so I slowly went backwards just to see how low I could go - it was rather exciting ahaha.

I did have an error after 5 hours on 1.875 tho, so I'm at 1.93* and i'll run more tests tomorrow,, I'm worried I'll need to be above 1.2 though, we'll see after a 24 hour run.

I'll try out OCCT and see what it's like! Thanks a bunch!
Heh... you're still doing it..... :)

Great to hear that you're enjoying this. Too many folks (myself included) jump right to the max OC they can get without savouring the process.