Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2014, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX 780 @ 1424 Mhz?

Edit: Managed to get a run of 1424 Mhz without crashing. Wouldn't call it 100% stable and there are visual artifacts, so definitely nothing more than just for gaming. 1410 Mhz with mem@ 7400 Mhz works well and is stable.

And just a reference test @ default/stock settings of 1150 Mhz

Last edited by draemn; April 11, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I managed to get Valley to run a few benchmark sessions back to back at 1410 Mhz with the memory at 3667 Mhz (7334) with only visual artifacts and the occasional throttling of power limit as the heat increased. It is not gaming stable, but it gave me a 17% increase in benchmark score on valley. Been at this for 3 hours, so I think I need to call it quits for today.
Old April 9, 2014, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice. Curious to see what you will end up getting it 100% stable at for long term use.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It actually looks like the card is throttling due to a voltage limit. I've actually found that dialing BACK the voltage slightly can result in higher clocks.
Old April 9, 2014, 08:05 AM
MVP

thats ridiculous. I max out at 1163 gaming stable and no amount of voltage in precision helps me go higher. Luck of the draw.
Old April 9, 2014, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Update: by throwing the great cooling of northern Canada at it (open the door to my apartment, 4* outside), I was able to get a run at Extreme HD on valley with no visual artifacts. I had it crash constant at 1.334v but it was happy again at 1.34v (bumped up the FBVDD memory voltage 20mv to be safe). Final score of 2808 with 67.1 fps... no my compute is not set up for maxing out benchmark scores, it is set up for day to day use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It actually looks like the card is throttling due to a voltage limit. I've actually found that dialing BACK the voltage slightly can result in higher clocks.
I loose stability and the card crashes and defaults back to stock settings if I go a few mv lower. PX shows me at my voltage limit 100% of the time, unless I hit my power limit. It doesn't mater what voltage I put in or what clock speed I use, it always shows that I'm at my voltage limit... I can tell you that I have tested bumping up the clock speed when it shows I'm at my voltage limit and I have also tested increasing/decreasing my voltage and both tests have resulted in the voltage limit still saying 1, not hitting my power limit, and changes in clock speeds for when I'm bumping it up.

All in all, 1410 is not working at this voltage setting with my cooling... it is not consistent as to how much of a boost I get. It has been fun trying to see how high I can push this card, but alas, I'll have to play with lower speeds if I want anything a little more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
thats ridiculous. I max out at 1163 gaming stable and no amount of voltage in precision helps me go higher. Luck of the draw.
But you aren't running a Classified card. These are designed for very very very nice over-clocking. Also, I am over-volting with a custom tool that lets me go past the limits.

Last edited by draemn; April 9, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Without better cooling, I have given up on a proper "stable" 1410 Mhz, I did run (just for the hell of it) a 1372 mhz, 3694 mhz memory OC (7388 mhz) for an hour or longer on BF4 with no issues. Did not hit 57* at all! ~1.315v

I still do not know what is going on with the card and voltage limits/performance hits as PX ALWAYS reports that I'm hitting my voltage limit if I'm not hitting my power limit.
Old April 10, 2014, 01:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Nice clocks! It's a keeper for sure.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:40 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Cooling limited likely unless you are on water.

@draemn you will need a different bios with higher power limits. Also ones without boost 2.0.
Old April 10, 2014, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am really thinking of installing the SKYNET BIOS just to remove the power boost feature... As for the power limits, 115% is doing me just fine unless I get better cooling as the heat production would just screw up my over-clocking efforts if I decided to go for a higher power limit.

Edit: I am thinking of installing a 120mm rad into the loop in addition to the 2x120mm rad. Cool down the CPU water before it hits the GPU.