Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2014, 09:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

high voltage will kill chips, temps just make it happen that much faster is all. There is a reason why LN2 runs are more often then not suicide runs, something about extreme temps high volts being akin to very coarse sandpaper under water :P

Either way chips degrade. Intel/AMD and all other makers are using the max of x volts in combination with rated speeds, up the volts, up the speed or up the temps you will degrade the chip faster then its intended service life, period. There is no hard numbers to say how much or how fast really.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
high voltage will kill chips, temps just make it happen that much faster is all. There is a reason why LN2 runs are more often then not suicide runs, something about extreme temps high volts being akin to very coarse sandpaper under water :P

Either way chips degrade. Intel/AMD and all other makers are using the max of x volts in combination with rated speeds, up the volts, up the speed or up the temps you will degrade the chip faster then its intended service life, period. There is no hard numbers to say how much or how fast really.
my point was the cooler the chip is at x voltage the less degradation you'll have. i've been overclocking all my processors since my first 386 and have always ran at max spec voltage and never i saw degradation. i did many suicide runs too not on ln2 but on aftermarket cooling. never killed a chip or seen degradation. i know there is chance of degration at high voltage but i'm not near that at my voltage.
Old April 5, 2014, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Although I in no means have the "expertise" to back up the claim, I am inclined to agree that you can throw more volts at a chip the cooler it is without causing damage as fast. Sometimes when looking for a 24/7 stable over-clock, less voltage is better (i.e. you initially put your voltage higher than you need and therefore are producing extra heat which makes it unstable faster).
Old April 5, 2014, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what is the stock voltage for this chip? 1.4v is nothing imo...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 7, 2014, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
what is the stock voltage for this chip? 1.4v is nothing imo...
i think its around 1.08v

i'm still in testing tweaking process but finally i found that even if the chip seems stable at 5.1ghz i get occasionnal WHEA errors and i dont like that. i stepped down at 5ghz and to illiminate WHEA errors i seatled at 1.42v. its kind of deception for me but i am looking for a perfect stable overclock. still 5ghz is very good and it sits under 60c at load wich is very good for ivy bridge but i had to delidded it and use liquide metal ultra also using a custom watercooling with plenty of rads.

1.42v for me is nothing to worry about. i've seen ppl using way more then that on lower clock speed for 24/7 oc
Old April 7, 2014, 08:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

on a defualt setting in bios my vcore shows 0.98 lol but then bump it up to 1.25 when ocing to 4.7ghz, with 2400mhz corsair doms
Old June 26, 2014, 09:50 AM
Rookie

its my old one,
Old September 22, 2014, 10:46 PM
Rookie

awesome man, I wish my 3770k could do that :(
Old November 17, 2014, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ive been trying to hit 5ghz on my 4820. Are there other things I should be tweaking aside from the voltage? I've been playing around with asus suite but it can be a little flakey of that I'm aware.

Your chip seems to be quite good btw.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.