Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2014, 09:50 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Overclocking FX-8320. Any tips?

I've done a good amount of overclocking on Intel chips (core 2 duo, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge).

Recently just bought my first AMD chip, the FX-8320. Is there any specific tips related to overclocking on the AMD platform, or is it relatively the same as intel?
Old April 11, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In general no, the FX line has unlocked multiplier, and then you can play with FSB value. From what I have heard however the components most at risk will be your mobo's VRM section, make sure it is well cooled, meaning to have good heatsink pack on the VRMs and a good airflow on them.
Old September 20, 2014, 06:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been playing with my FX 8120 again lately, my first AMD chip as well, and I found the following guide helped me most (I hope I'm allowed to link) AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard

You didn't say what motherboard/bios you're using and it doesn't say in your System Specs and I'm not sure how much translates to other boards but I hope it helps.

I'm not sure if the Piledrivers run as hot, but with my Bulldozer I definitely have to watch my vcore to keep temperatures down. I'm currently at 4.2GHz with 1.30V. Make sure features any features like motherboard overclocking ("Turbo" on Asus) are off and set all voltages manually, even if it's just to stock. I've found that on auto, they can get bumped up way too high and produce a lot of heat for no discernible speed or stability increase. I'm talking a 10C difference between manual voltages at 4.2GHz and auto voltages (everything other than vcore and dram) at 3.6GHz. Maybe this is obvious to others but I had it way easier with C2Ds on Award BIOS.

Speaking of temperatures, AMD says the maximum core temp should be 61C so I'm trying to stay below 55C for a 24/7 OC. After I set voltages this isn't a problem, though. Just make sure you're looking at the right temperature on your monitoring software. I was stressing out over my "CPU" temps a lot before I realized that was socket temp and I had to be concerned with Core temps.

Good luck!