Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2014, 12:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default phase changer under $1000

What do you guys think Little Devil this would make a overclock nice and stable.

a steady 300W of dissipation at -30 C. Normal temperatures for this unit at Windows is -38 to -45C depending on CPU usage and heatload
Old February 11, 2014, 01:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
What do you guys think Little Devil this would make a overclock nice and stable.

a steady 300W of dissipation at -30 C. Normal temperatures for this unit at Windows is -38 to -45C depending on CPU usage and heatload
Unless your doing some serious overclocking simply not worth it.

Get a inexpensive tec unit, power supply and a AIO and call it a day.
Old February 11, 2014, 01:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well figured I will be using a H320 Swiftech with 6 Noctuas this would be a extreme upgrade in cooling lol.
Old February 11, 2014, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Well figured I will be using a H320 Swiftech with 6 Noctuas this would be a extreme upgrade in cooling lol.
Extreme? No.

Crazy yes.
Old February 11, 2014, 03:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Then it's perfect lol. But was looking around for last bit of modding supplies and found that.
Old February 11, 2014, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my opinion, SS is not really a viable alternative for normal 24/7 cooling due to the preventative measures that need to be taken against condensation. It is, however, a great way to introduce yourself to sub-zero competitive overclocking and benchmarking.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 11, 2014, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

along with noise and hydro not worth it for a daily runner
Old February 11, 2014, 01:38 PM
MVP

No love for the phase! It probably isn't practical for cooling 24/7 but since when is spending a $1000 on a cooling solution practical. If you want the very best cooling to achieve the very best overclock for 24/7 the only option is phase cooling. Its noisy, uses tons of hydro, and you definitely should provide waterproof insulation to protect your hardware unless you are operating in a very low humidity enviroment. If you are using any modern quad core Intel/AMD chip you shouldn't consider TEC as it just can't keep up or maintain temperatures at any serious amount of overclock.

If you are serious about benching, then phase is definitely a giant bonus!
Old February 11, 2014, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
No love for the phase! It probably isn't practical for cooling 24/7 but since when is spending a $1000 on a cooling solution practical. If you want the very best cooling to achieve the very best overclock for 24/7 the only option is phase cooling. Its noisy, uses tons of hydro, and you definitely should provide waterproof insulation to protect your hardware unless you are operating in a very low humidity enviroment. If you are using any modern quad core Intel/AMD chip you shouldn't consider TEC as it just can't keep up or maintain temperatures at any serious amount of overclock.

Uhm.. come again?

I had my i5 2500k under tec and was running @ 4.7 with idle temps around 15-16 idle and 25 under load. How is that now able to maintain?
Old February 11, 2014, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
If you are using any modern quad core Intel/AMD chip you shouldn't consider TEC as it just can't keep up or maintain temperatures at any serious amount of overclock.

gee you missed the pot of dice

news flash a TEC can run 7/24 and with good results with 4-12c less then ambient depends on module used

same insulation needed for phase change