Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2013, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I already had xbmc installed, and had given it a try, but didn't realize that the screeching audio was due to the audio being set to digital as opposed to analog. :)
Screeching audio? If you have to play audio in analog there is something wrong somewhere.

From my understanding you are outputting the audio from your little pc to your onkyo receiver which should have NO issues decoding analog or digital as long as the media file you are using is encoded properly.
Old December 24, 2013, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Screeching audio? If you have to play audio in analog there is something wrong somewhere.

From my understanding you are outputting the audio from your little pc to your onkyo receiver which should have NO issues decoding analog or digital as long as the media file you are using is encoded properly.
This was a different location so it wasn't going to the onkyo, but I did have it set up for digital output and it screeched on the PC's analog speakers when I played anything other than a .mov (the batman trailer was fine, but two other sources I had screeched). After I'd installed the codecs and discovered that while it had made the files playable with media player, it hadn't resolved the issue with xbmc.

Quick google search got me this post.... XBMC Audio Problems! - MacRumors Forums and changing xbmc settings to analog from digital got me normal audio.

It's all good. :)

That said.... other than looking for multi-channel audio on a 1080p file, is there anything else (as in format) I should look for WRT putting as much HD load on a system as possible? I'm not looking to test for the ability to rip movies, but is there something I'm missing that a standard HTPC would be doing which would require more processing/video capabilities?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would be wondering what the actual bitrate is of the trailers. I ask because for me a HTPC has to be able to play back proper bluray level bitrates, around 30Mbps. As for something to test this with I'm not sure. Even that big buck bunny is only 8Mbps so while it has the resolution it doesn't have the bitrate to truly test the system for remuxes or full blurays. You need something that has a bitrate of around 30Mbps to see if it can handle everything.