Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default can to much ram cause issues with a Oc?

I'm planning on getting either 64Gb of Dominator Platinum ram or 32 I see alot if ppl sticking with 8 to 16 Gb of ram. Would this hinder a decent Over Clock on a Rive BE with a 4960X cpu.

The last time I OCed a comp was when you had to up the Fsb then raise voltage till it was stable so not skilled in ways if New generation of overclocking Intel cpus.
Old November 14, 2013, 03:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its more a matter of what the system is designed to do.

Adobe aftereffects and Photo shop love lots off RAM.

On that Board you can set up RAM cashing fore computing also.

If your just going to game then you need less RAM.

Make sure to use 64 Bit OS like Windiows 7 Ultamate 64 bit or server OS. Only a 64 bit OS will adress that much RAM .

Now back to your ? If you were overclocking sometimes less RAM better sometimes more is better is depends on witch bench mark your trying to beet.

Faster Ram is better all the time.
Old November 14, 2013, 03:53 AM
MVP

More RAM can indeed hinder your OC. The memory controller is onboard of the processor itself (usually referred to as the IMC) and also tied to many of the clocks the processor is subject to. The more RAM you add the more it strains your IMC, the faster you set the frequency the more it strains your IMC, adding more of one or the other can cause instability. You may find that you can overclock 8 GB of your RAM to higher speeds then you can get 32GB to run stable. It mostly depends on the strength of your IMC and they can vary widely.
Old November 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok well I'm trying for at least a 4.5ghz oc on cpu. I'll be doing alot video editing and Adobe work as well as gaming when I get chance atm I have 3D studio max Maya and Photoshop set for New rig I also want to be able to recode my Blue-Ray Collection to mkv format fir my nas.

I wanted 64gigs so I could setup a decent sized
Ramdisk for certain projects. Just wasn't sure if having all slots filled would still give me Quad Channel support. And be capable of pushing a decent overclock
Old November 14, 2013, 03:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I figured with a $1100 cpu it'd be strong enough but I can understand sone silicon is stronger then others and. Usually ends being luck if draw if you can populate all ram slots and still oc.
Old November 14, 2013, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Linus Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhkJ...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

Is this what your trying fore ?
Old November 14, 2013, 08:21 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
More RAM can indeed hinder your OC. The memory controller is onboard of the processor itself (usually referred to as the IMC) and also tied to many of the clocks the processor is subject to. The more RAM you add the more it strains your IMC, the faster you set the frequency the more it strains your IMC, adding more of one or the other can cause instability. You may find that you can overclock 8 GB of your RAM to higher speeds then you can get 32GB to run stable. It mostly depends on the strength of your IMC and they can vary widely.
This.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah just want to be able to do this if I can. Plus I would love to have power on hand incase.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have 32GB of that Dominator Platinum on my machine along with a OC of 4.8GHz. That said I have when playing with it found that I can not get up to the 5.1-5.2 range without removing at least half of the ram. Needless to say I don't run at those speeds for anything other than benching so I'm fine with it being stable at 4.8GHz with all 32GB. So as others have said yes it can affect your OC.

Old November 14, 2013, 08:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok well all I really want is 4.5 ghz stable and I'll be fine with that just wanted to make sure not to drop over $1100 on ram if it'd hinder my Overclock severely.