Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2013, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ What those guys said :) Also, I was under the impression you need W8 64 Bit to address 32 or 64GB RAM....W7 wont cut it. Crazy aounts of RAM at high speeds will certainly effect how high you can OC ;)

Old November 16, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ What those guys said :) Also, I was under the impression you need W8 64 Bit to address 32 or 64GB RAM....W7 wont cut it. Crazy aounts of RAM at high speeds will certainly effect how high you can OC ;)
Windows 7 does cut it but you have to have the right version of it. Here are the limits for 64bit:
  • Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB
For Windows 8 64bit it is:
  • Windows 8: 128GB
  • Professional: 512GB
  • Enterprise: 512GB

Old November 16, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for clearing that up ipaine....so I would have to upgrade to W7 Professional if I went with more than 16GB RAM.....good to know ! For some reason I thought you required W8.....and I'm just not ready to go there ;)

Old November 16, 2013, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, someone pointed out how windows 7 premium and under only supports 16GB earlier this year and quite a few people were like "WTF? " (myself included).

I only bought Professional because of the optional XP compatibility mode, but if I'd know the RAM limits, that would have been yet another reason to skip premium.

As for the OP with ram, if you're not trying to push your CPU to the maximum over-clock you can get away with having the larger amount of ram. It is that last 200-300 mhz where you'll find yourself running into issues due to the ram. Also, my understanding is that you can get away with 16GB on 2x sticks easier than using 4x4 sticks.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If the Dominator Platinums come in 8Gb sticks I'd be set. A mild oc for now till I'm more comfortable with ocing this chip my first foray into Intel Extreme.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Did some looking around and found a rig with 64 Gb of ram and it was done by digital storm and pc gamer.

there LPC and from article they not using a Rive BE board I plan to push this rig to least 4.5Ghz so thought we'll if I had 64Gb of ram I could make a really huge ram drive for some apps games.

What are your thoughts on filling up all ram slots on ultra high end Boards with best memory available.

I know back in the 90's to 2000 you couldn't fill all ram slots on mad boards as it'd just cause havoc and nforce boards. But from searching rigs with 64Gb of ram it looks like value boards from both sides won't support that much properly.

this rig will be an attempt to fill roles of everything a pc was made for and for all things we could do with them on a whim.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is the rig I was talking about this is a massive rig that can handle development and content creation and gaming.LargePixelCollider
Old January 8, 2014, 11:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Basically rig I want - the $4000+ spent on Titans.