Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2013, 12:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default MSI Afterburner forgets Fans on Auto

I've been using MSI's Afterburner to manage my Gigabyte HD 7970 and it works well except for one thing.

It does not remember the "auto" fan setting and reverts to 50%.

I've configured the fan's to increase in speed as the GPU temperature increases and as long as the "auto" button lights up that works. I've saved the settings (a few times) But when I reboot and it comes back up (Afterburner is in my startup) it remembers the last profile I used and all the other settings (e.g. to send the data to my Logitech G13's little LCD screen - that's nice) but I have to open Afterburner and click on the "auto" button on the fans otherwise the gpu fans are set a flat 50%.

If I forget and start gaming then I think to look at the temps in my G13 LCD screen display I'll see the GPU temp has gone up to 70 something degrees - not cool (pun intended ). I have to exit the game, click the "auto" button and then all is good. With the fans on full speed the temp drops back down to the mid 60's.

When not gaming the auto fan function runs the fans at 50 something % and keeps the gpu under 50.

I've OC'd the card memory to 1500 (x4=6000) and the core clock from stock 1000 to 1050. I've pushed both further when benchmarking to see how fast it will go but 1500 & 1050 are 'safer' in that the system is stable and never reboots itself at those settings (and I don't think I see any performance difference).

How hot is too hot for a GPU?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 2, 2013, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are 3 ways of doing the fans.. Auto, static set and user defined.. there is a cog on the right that when clicked highlights the whole slider. you need the Auto (with the lil light) to be active AND the whole slider area highlighted green for it to follow your custom profile.

Also, 70c is nothing to afraid of in a GPU. I would say (GPU dependent) about 80 - 85 is pretty normal if a bit toasty.. push 90 and your starting to push the envelope some. over 100 and your looking at danger.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"